Was this released to quickly?

Help for PlanMaker 2004 for Handheld PCs

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Mockingbird

Was this released to quickly?

Post by Mockingbird » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:25 am

Since no one was posting, I'd thought I'd give people a heads up with some of the problems I'm having and maybe save someone from experiencing these also, at least not prepared somewhat.

First let me say this will be a good piece of software someday... but there are some real compatibility and performance issues right now. Looking forward to the patches as you correct these things.

Was this released to quickly?... early beta versions performed better and everyone should be warned to use test files or you are likely to lose valuable information or be stuck with using Planmaker on your handheld.

Now I don't know the whole story yet as I haven't taken the time to check on the compatibility with the desktop version of Excel yet and even thought about doing that before writing this note, but I do know that the software opens SpreadCE files just fine although I'm having difficulty accepting the display, memory and speed issues. - I know over time Planmaker will improve as Textmaker did.

Now, after saving the file and just for the heck of it, I reopened the file in SpreadCE to find it destroyed. Reopening in Planmaker verifies that things are OK but now you cannot use the file directly again in SpreadCE... maybe after saving in the desktop version you might once again be able to use the file in SpreadCE, but I have not tried that yet.

Anyway, I'd like to have something better to say at this point, but I'm not ready to give up on SpreadCE for the much slower, more memory required and less viewing area of Planmaker.

Maybe others are having better experiences. I'd like to hear about them.
Joe

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:01 am

Let me say this first: I cannot remember a _single_ complaint from a customer that the release version of PlanMaker has trashed or damaged even one Excel file.

If you have a file that cannot be opened in Microsoft Excel anymore, we'd like to see it. Send it to support (at) softmaker.de

If you have a PlanMaker-generated file that SpreadCE cannot open anymore, send it both to us and SpreadCE's tech support. We'd be interested in seeing this fixed, but as long as Excel can open the file, it's probably more an issue of SpreadCE's developers fixing their filters.

Of course, we'll continue to enhance PlanMaker. There will be even a service pack soon that improves Windows 2003 SE compatibility and other smaller niggly things, but this service pack will not be about Excel or SpreadCE file compatibility -- as we have not yet seen any bug report (besides yours) about this area.

So, if you have something, mail it to us and include reproducible step-by-step instructions, and we'll quickly investigate this.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:20 am

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and I apologize if I sounded rude... I should have thought about this a bit more before posting or sent an email directly to you.

Not to justify my first post, but I guess I was frustrated at the moment as I had expected better interchangeability between these two top of the line programs for our handhelds.

Today I spent sometime trying different combinations between the handheld and the desk top versions and determined the following:

The files between the Planmaker handheld version and the desktop version worked very nicely, Excel was a bit off on the graphics when used to open the files. Once the files had been saved in Planmaker on the desktop they opened in SpreadCE but the graphs were gone. When the files were saved in the handheld version of Planmaker and then SpreadCE used to open the file, some of the numbers and column headings were gone and the graphs as well.

Excel opened the SpreadCE files nicely, including the graphs and SpreadCE opened the saved files from Excel nicely.

I don't see the benefit to sending you files as these observations are straight forward and are just compatibility issues that will get fixed in time.

Please let me say, that I'm thrilled that you are producing software for our community and I am looking forward to the release of the help files and the manual so I can figure out how to do a few things that I haven't yet and of course any future enhancements to the software will be a plus.

Best Regards,
Joe

r-vanhove

Post by r-vanhove » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:02 pm

Hi Joe,
I have both SpreadCE (v1.19) and PlanMaker and additionally, I also cross-checked with ClearVue Excel Viewer 2.1:

- SpreadCE is consistenly losing any data labels for e.g. a pie chart. PlanMaker is correctly displaying them. Excel Viewer is also losing these data labels.
- The colours are differrent; if I draw a normal histogram in red bars in SpreadCE then they appear in light blue in ClearVue and PlanMaker, but also in Excel !!!
- The Chart sheets in SpreadCE causes often strange effects in ClearVue or in Excel. The PlanMaker version causes me no problem.

From what I can see, SpreadCE has considerable issues with charting and exchanging with Excel. PlanMaker up to now has performed well (beside of a few glitches in the scaling, which I will send a example to file to SoftMaker to investigate this).

Before I judge whether this is a bug or what, the only correct way to verify is to cross-check with the desktop version of Microsoft excel and not with SpreadCE.

Return to “PlanMaker 2004 for Handheld PCs”