Installation to WinCE 4.2 1/4 VGA device

Help for PlanMaker 2004 for Handheld PCs

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

David D

Post by David D » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:36 pm

My attempted installation to a WinCE 4.2 1/4VGA device failed. The message mentioned that I was attempting to install to a "small screen".

This device Display supports the following resolution:

3.5" / 8.9 cm 240 x 320 graphic, transflective TFT
256,000 colors
Sunlight readable (for outdoor use)

Is there a version of Planmaker that I can use?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:07 pm

What machine is this? A Psion Teklogix Workabout Pro?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

David D

Post by David D » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:25 pm

Thanks for the response.

This is a PSC Falcon Model 4220 bar code data collection terminal.
http://na.psc.com/html/f4220.htm

We have an opportunity to sell a fair number of these devices to a large delivery company for Asset Management.

While this device uses WinCE 4.2 only (no plans for PocketPC on this device), I did also download the Pocket PC trial version of PlanMaker to see if it would run. I was able to load and launch the PocketPC version. The only glitches that I've noticed is that the software locks up when trying to use File / Exit, and an error message appears when trying to access Help Files.

If you know of a WinCE 4.2 version that will run on this size screen I'd like to give it a try. Thanks.

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:50 pm

Please send us an email as we currently search for people out there using these devices. We have a version running on these devices, but we need some beta testers. :-)
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

David D

Falcon 4220 CE.Net 4.2 Ruggedized PDA

Post by David D » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:11 pm

PSC would be interested in beta testing the software available for the PSC Falcon 4220 CE.Net 4.2 terminal.

How can we get started?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:36 pm

Great! I'll send you a private e-mail with further instructions.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

David D

Falcon 4220 CE.Net 4.2 Ruggedized PDA

Post by David D » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:43 pm

Martin,

Any updates on beta testing a new WinCE version of Softmaker/PlanMaker for the PSC 4220, and PSC 4420 terminals?

I need to deliver a 4220 to our client this week, and our only option right now would be to use the PocketPC version. As mentioned previously, the PocketPC version of PlanMaker on the 4220 locks up when trying to use File / Exit, and an error message appears when trying to access Help Files.

Thanks.

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:11 pm

We will try to finish the beta this week so we can start the beta at the end of the week.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

marklucas

Beta User

Post by marklucas » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:30 am

Toby, please sign me up as a beta user.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Beta User

Post by martin-k » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:16 am

marklucas wrote:Toby, please sign me up as a beta user.
Done.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ashique

Post by ashique » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:29 am

martin-k wrote:What machine is this? A Psion Teklogix Workabout Pro?
Hello Martin,

I'm trying to install PlanMaker in a Psion Teklogix Workabout Pro 7525M-E (mono) and get the same error as David (i.e. attempting to install to a "small screen"). Any advise in getting it to work?

Thanks and regards,
Ashique M Ali

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:10 am

The Workabout Pro is not a Handheld PC and not a Pocket PC, it's some kind of hybrid. This is the reason why neither PlanMaker for Pocket PCs nor PlanMaker for Handheld PCs will work on this device.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Holger M.

Post by Holger M. » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:30 pm

Tobias-L wrote:The Workabout Pro is not a Handheld PC and not a Pocket PC, it's some kind of hybrid. This is the reason why neither PlanMaker for Pocket PCs nor PlanMaker for Handheld PCs will work on this device.
Hi Tobias

I would like to render this statement a bit more precicely
The Psion Workabout Pro is available with either Windows Mobile 2003 SE (i.e. as Pocket PC) or Windows CE.NET (i.e. as Handheld PC).
And I have been confirmed from our Psion reseller that PlanMaker runs flawless on his Pocket PC version of a Workabout Pro!!

But I can confirm as well that the PlanMaker installation routine for Handheld PCs aborts with the well known error message "You are trying to install Handheld PC software on a small screen, probably a Pocket PC. Please contact SoftMaker to get the correct software for your device" if I try to install it on a Win CE.NET Workabout Pro.

Bug?
Funny enough, an installation of the Pocket PC software finished without complaining. (on a Handheld PC!!!) And it seems really weird to me that the wrong installation routine finishes error-free and the right is aborted before having done anything... :? It appears as if there is some room for improvement in SoftMakers algorithm to determine the device's OS :wink:

It would be very interesting to make a test: To try installing the (right) handheld version of PlanMaker with the possibility to ignore the error message about a "small screen", wouldn't it?

Is there any chance to get such an 'inofficial' alpha test version? I have the hardware standing on my table and it would be an honor to me to give your developers as many feedback as they whish :D

If not, we have to return the device in order to get the OS changed to Windows Mobile (which I off course would prefer to avoide)

Regards,

/ Holger M.

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:52 pm

The Workabout Pro is some kind of hybrid between a Pocket PC and a Handheld PC. Some people call it "Ruggedized Device".
The specifications of the Pocket PCs and Handheld PCs do not fit with the specifications of the Workabout Pro.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Holger M.

Post by Holger M. » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:49 pm

Tobias-L wrote:The Workabout Pro is [...] some kind of hybrid. This is the reason why neither PlanMaker for Pocket PCs nor PlanMaker for Handheld PCs will work on this device.
Today I know that above statement is somewhat incomplete. For a more comprehensive statement from SoftMaker, visit http://www.softmaker.net/forum/viewtopi ... =8901#8901. For my part, I can tell that PlanMaker has been running on my Workabout Pro (under Windows CE) for quite some time. Since the installation routine denied its service, I had to copy the required files manually to the device (as stated in other threads of this BB) and
TATAAAA: It woked just fine 8)

The installation instructions can be found elsewher in this forum as well, but for those who are tired of searching, proceed reading:
  1. Create a program folder and a subfolder "Templates" on your device, e.g.
    \Program Files\PlanMaker\ and
    \Program Files\PlanMaker\Templates\
  2. Unzip the installer "pmcw04.exe" to a convenient place on your desktop PC.
  3. Copy all files (not folders) .\arm\*, .\common\* and .\spell\* to the just created program folder (e.g. \Program Files\PlanMaker) on your handheld device.
  4. Choose one of the files
    .\pmv_de\Normal.pmv,
    .\pmv_en\Normal.pmv,
    .\pmv_es\Normal.pmv or
    .\pmv_pb\Normal.pmv
    and copy it to the Template directory on your handheld (in above example \Program Files\PlanMaker\Template)
  5. Register the program and
  6. Have fun!
If your device is equipped with a 1/4 VGA display as mine, you will find that the GUI does not fit at all on the screen. But the program itself works!

// Holger M.

PS: When buying a Workabout Pro, you may order it with either Windows CE or Windows Mobile OS. I can't tell if PlanMaker runs on the Windows Mobile version.

Return to “PlanMaker 2004 for Handheld PCs”