"Out of Memory" error in WM 6.0 and WM 6.5

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2010 for Windows Mobile.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

chasdl

"Out of Memory" error in WM 6.0 and WM 6.5

Post by chasdl » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi Folks,

I've been using various versions of TextMaker for Windows Mobile for years, and really appreciate the work the SoftMaker team has devoted to this program. Thank you folks...

However, TextMaker 2010 seems to have an error that has been become very difficult, and I'm wondering (a) if other people have experienced the same thing, and (b) if there is a fix for it.

The problem is that TextMaker 2010 will throw an "Out of Memory" error after a certain number of characters have been typed in, generally around 700 - 1000 characters. Thus, it is a problem that does not show up immediately, but only after one has been working for a while. Furthermore, it has done the same thing on two different phones and operating systems... an AT&T Tilt running WM 6.0 and an AT&T Tilt 2 running WM 6.5. Therefpre, I think it is an error within TextMaker and not related to a specific phone.

When the "Out of Memory" error appears, it is sometimes possible to save the file before closing TextMaker (about 50% of the time), but the rest of the time TextMaker will freeze and the phone has to be rebooted. I've discovered that it is not sufficient to simply close and reopen the file while leaving TextMaker open to prevent this. The only way to avoid the error is to completely close and restart TextMaker. Further, after doing that a couple of times, one must reboot the phone to continue working on a TextMaker document. This makes working on a lengthy document a constant process of closing and opening files and rebooting the system.

The error occurs regardless of how much program memory is available to the system. As with most Windows mobile users, I am generally very careful with memory management, and never let the available program memory get below 30 MB for any reason. However, this error occurs under all memory conditions, even after a fresh reboot when there are 80+ MB of free memory available. The problem seems to be intrinsic to the TextMaker and has nothing to do with the actual amount of free memory.

It is important to note that 700 characters is not very much text; it is generally only a few small paragraphs. That, coupled with the need to frequently close TextMaker and/or reboot the system to continue working, means that the utility of TextMaker is severely reduced as a working tool.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem that could be offered. Have any other folks experienced this? And is there a fix or work-around for it?

Thanks, and all the best....

Charles S.

PS I meant to note that I am using TextMaker 2010 (rev 586). Is there a later version available that might fix this problem?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: "Out of Memory" error in WM 6.0 and WM 6.5

Post by sven-l » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 am

I wrote you an PM.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Baicche

Post by Baicche » Tue May 29, 2012 9:01 am

I will also appreciate a PM, as I am having the very same problem with a Motorola ES400, WM 6.5.3.
Many thanks in advance.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue May 29, 2012 2:39 pm

Baicche wrote:I will also appreciate a PM, as I am having the very same problem with a Motorola ES400, WM 6.5.3.
Many thanks in advance.
I sent you a PM.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

chasdl

Post by chasdl » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:21 pm

sven-l wrote:
Baicche wrote:I will also appreciate a PM, as I am having the very same problem with a Motorola ES400, WM 6.5.3.
Many thanks in advance.
I sent you a PM.
Hi Sven,

I appreciate your responsiveness on these and other problems...

Has there been an actual revision of TextMaker... that is, later than # 586?

Thanks, and best...

Charles

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Not for Windows Mobile. The revision i sent you was the last available one.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

chasdl

Post by chasdl » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:36 pm

sven-l wrote:Not for Windows Mobile. The revision i sent you was the last available one.
Thanks for the response....

I think you mentioned in another post that you are developing a version of TextMaker for the Android OS... Did that happen? And second, does it have the same problems (i.e., memory errors, inability to work on large files, etc)? And third, will it run on an Android tablet?

I don't mean to criticize TextMaker for mobile devices at all... I think, in concept, that it is a fantastic product. I just need to know if it works as advertised. The version for the older Windows Mobile (i.e., WM 6.5 and earlier) did not.

Best...

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:43 am

I think you mentioned in another post that you are developing a version of TextMaker for the Android OS... Did that happen?
Yes but it's not finised yet: http://www.softmaker.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=191
And second, does it have the same problems (i.e., memory errors, inability to work on large files, etc)? And third, will it run on an Android tablet?
It will run on android tablets and should not have any problems with larger files. You can try out the Beta if you want:
http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofa12betareg_en.htm

Windows Mobile was heavily restricted in the way applications were allowed to allocate memory. What good is a 256 MByte device, if a single application may only use 32 MBytes for its own data? Android thankfully has no such restrictions in native code.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

jorge martinez

Post by jorge martinez » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:36 am

Sorry if I am out of time; but I have the same problem and I just learn to understand the english.
So if someone can send me a PM to solve this problem I preciated a lot.
I use the rev 586, on a HP Ipaq 211 with WM 6.1.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:39 am

I wrote you a PM.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2010 for Windows Mobile”