Save as .xlsx

Post bug reports and suggestions for PlanMaker 2010 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

wvh

Save as .xlsx

Post by wvh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:30 pm

PlanMaker 2010's support for the bogus xlsx file format is great, but I notice that I can't save files as xlsx even if that's the format in which I originally opened them (at which point they are converted to your pmd format). I also notice that xlsx isn't an option when trying to "Save as". This obviously hurts interoperability, because I can't really exchange files with Windows-centric folks unless I beg them to fall back to xls. Is xlsx as an output format on your horizon?

Thanks for an amazing product, BTW.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Save as .xlsx

Post by sven-l » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Hello,

a xlsx export filter is on our agenda for the future but there is no time frame for that.

The most important thing is that you can open and edit your xlsx-files with PlanMaker. It should be no problem to save them in xls-format because every Excel and Open Office user can easily open xls files.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bennachie

Re: Save as .xlsx

Post by bennachie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 am

Yes, that's true up to a point, but the XLS format does not faithfully transmit all the newer features that can be (and often are) implemented in PM or Excel 2007/2010, so you really need to adopt a "lowest common denominator" approach in preparing your spreadsheet when resorting to that expedient. You can use OpenOffice Calc as an intermediary, of course, but that introduces its own set of problems. Actually, Excel 2010 does a decent job of importing the OO native format, and that can be a better approach than using the XLSX export facility in OO.

In this particular case, PM has some distance to make up on the competition.

Return to “PlanMaker 2010 for Linux”