Font Defaults

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2010 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

zaivala

Font Defaults

Post by zaivala » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:29 am

OK, editing Normal.tmv worked for setting paper size and margins, but not for setting the default font. I don't know anyone who can read Times Roman 10 pt. Maybe I'm just getting old, and so are my friends. How do I set the default font?

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Font Defaults

Post by martin-k » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 am

Look at the second tip at http://softmaker.com/english/tipstm_en.htm

By the way, 10pt is the usual font size for books and newspapers.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

zaivala

Post by zaivala » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Glad it can be done. That's burying things pretty deep -- it would make sense if Word didn't make it a lot easier (they put a Use as Default clickbox in many menus. Even so, TM is a tiny program by comparison, so kudos to the programmers.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:36 am

A quick way to set the default font and formatting is to go to Format/Character and press the "Use as default" button.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

zaivala

Post by zaivala » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:56 pm

OK, I have yet to see a "use as default" button in this program. But I believe you. Anyhow, have the problem fixed.

Don't get me wrong, I really love this program. .DOC files brought over to Microsoft Word have virtually no problems, no matter how much you edited them with SoftMaker TextMaker. This is not the case for files edited with OpenOffice.org or AbiWord or KOffice (although AbiWord is, oddly, better than the others -- why are the leaner programs better at this than the more bloated ones?).

And you can't get Word for Linux. Yeah, you can load it in Crossover, but you still have a bloated program that you paid hundreds for or had to steal.

zaivala

Post by zaivala » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:36 pm

martin-k wrote:Look at the second tip at http://softmaker.com/english/tipstm_en.htm.
Well, I just went and tried this. Using Windows 8.1, I opened Textmaker, found and opened Normal.tmv (not the easiest thing), made the font size and margin changes, and hit Save.

Error saving file. Disk full? (2000) [OK]

No. No it isn't. Not even close.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:48 am

Please make sure that you have writing permissions for the SoftMaker folder in C:\Users\Your Name\Documents. You can also try to delete the folder "SoftMaker" and try again.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Finding Normal.tmv is actually quite straightforward. File/Open, change the file type to "templates", and it should appear.

If you have such an error message, it could be that you picked the wrong Normal.tmv file (there is one in the autoinstall folder, and you should not touch it).
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2010 for Linux”