Few bugs encountered on TextMaker 2010

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2010 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ArnaudK

Few bugs encountered on TextMaker 2010

Post by ArnaudK » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi !

I finally bought SoftMaker Office Linux in order to potentially switch from OpenOffice and exchange data with people not using ODF files.

Till now, TextMaker is certainly the software that most impressed me compared to PlanMaker and SoftMaker Presentation. The MS Office compatibility is awesome, and the ODF compatibility is OK.

However, I found some minor bugs I wanted to share with everyone. I tried the Torture Test file from a competitor (who does not support ODF, that's why I chose SoftMaker Office)
http://product.thinkfree.com/templates/ ... rview.docx

The suspected bugs I found :
- There is a fourth page, not necessary. When saving through TextMaker and Open it again, this 4th page does not appear
- It seems to be a problem is alignment for the box located on page 3 (left align instead of center) as well as a dark box (insted of a normal one)

when saving the file into ODT, the document is more usable in OpenOffice (boxes appear, background images appear. they wont if you open the DOCX directly in OpenOffice) but major problems persist. I think this is related to OpenOffice (3.2.1).
But the most astounding problem is, when opening the ODT generated by textMaker, that TextMaker seems to change some attributes in the document (arrows are altered - page 3), the colors are changed (page 2) and the borders of shapes/boxed are altered (double line instead of dashed line, for instance. I see also some change in alignment)

Anyway the compatibilty with Word is extremely pleasant and far more reliable than OpenOffice. The ODT compatibility is OK but it seems that there are some features that need to be fixed. It seems also that the ODT compatibility is better in TextMaker than OpenOffice (I may be wrong, but simple/medium documents generated from OpenOffice and opened in TextMaker are OK and reciprocally. Complex documents seem more OK in textMaker than OpenOffice. But as I said I may be wrong, as OpenOffice should be the most capable Office Suite for ODF files).

Regards,

Arnaud

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Few bugs encountered on TextMaker 2010

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:02 am

Thank you for your feedback. Most of the problems you reported was reproducible for me in Linux and Windows. I informed the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ArnaudK

Post by ArnaudK » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks.

I am writing the review for the French WebSite. I am using TextMaker for writing the review. I get no problem using the software, as I often use Word and OpenOffice Writer. However, I did not find the "Version" field. Such field is often used to version the document (0.1, 0.2...). If I use insert->field, I don't find such field. any clue ? Can I create custom fields (I did not find the way either, I am a new user anyway ;)).

So far, Styles/Numbering/Bullets/Header/Footer/Forms/Fields are easy to use and nearly similar to MS Office.

Also, the French Translation for "Table" is still "Table" on the Menu. Even if French People will understand it, I guess the right Translation should be "Tableau".

Regards,

Arnaud

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:02 pm

ArnaudK wrote:
Also, the French Translation for "Table" is still "Table" on the Menu. Even if French People will understand it, I guess the right Translation should be "Tableau".
Thank you, I informed the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:09 pm

ArnaudK wrote:However, I did not find the "Version" field. Such field is often used to version the document (0.1, 0.2...). If I use insert->field, I don't find such field. any clue ? Can I create custom fields (I did not find the way either, I am a new user anyway ;)).
You can insert fields for "Creation date", "Creation time" and "Last edited by" but no version number. I referred an feature request to our developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ArnaudK

Post by ArnaudK » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:28 pm

I also noticed other bugs for ODT Import/Export using TextMaker :

- When I add bullets or numbers in TextMaker, and save the document in ODT, I lost these elements when I reopen the document through TextMaker again
- When I add a TextField on a page, I lose the position (External margins) if I do the same operation
- On Textfield objects, I also lose the borders and Background color doing the same operation

Regards,

Arnaud

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:02 pm

ArnaudK wrote:

- When I add bullets or numbers in TextMaker, and save the document in ODT, I lost these elements when I reopen the document through TextMaker again

That's a known problem. ODT cannot handle all bullets and numberings of TextMaker because not every formatting is supported in Open Office.

- When I add a TextField on a page, I lose the position (External margins) if I do the same operation
- On Textfield objects, I also lose the borders and Background color doing the same operation
Can you please send or attach an short example file? We need to see it and check if there is a problem in our odt filters or if these formattings are just not supported in odt format.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ArnaudK

Post by ArnaudK » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:14 pm

sven-l wrote:
ArnaudK wrote:

That's a known problem. ODT cannot handle all bullets and numberings of TextMaker because not every formatting is supported in Open Office.

Can you please send or attach an short example file? We need to see it and check if there is a problem in our odt filters or if these formattings are just not supported in odt format.
I suggest I finish the review (I switched to the Native TextMaker format) and then, I send you the document. When you will save the document in ODT and then open it again, the defect is located on the first page (please give me a email address in order to send you the document. I hope I will finish the first version this evening)

Return to “TextMaker 2010 for Linux”