Default Directories on Linux

This forum is for questions, suggestions, and issues that are general to SoftMaker Office 2010 for Linux and not specific to one of its applications.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

boomer3200

Default Directories on Linux

Post by boomer3200 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:29 pm

I have Softmaker 2010 installed and running well. Most of my settings and templates are under "~/.softmaker" as expected. However, some Softmaker resources appear under "~/docs" (a directory I intended to use for documents.

The following appears under "~/docs" and really should be in the "~/.softmaker" folder if possible:

drwxr-xr-x 2 dp admin 5632 Jul 9 21:05 Bullets
drwxr-xr-x 2 dp admin 1536 Jul 9 21:05 Designs
-rw-r--r-- 1 dp admin 16862 Mar 31 2010 FAQ (English).tmd
-rw-r--r-- 1 dp admin 13832 Mar 31 2010 Readme.tmd
drwxr-xr-x 2 dp admin 512 Jul 9 21:05 Samples
-rw-r--r-- 1 dp admin 23544 Mar 31 2010 World Languages.tmd
-rw-r--r-- 1 dp admin 961 Mar 31 2010 biblio.dbf
-rw-r--r-- 1 dp admin 1051 Mar 31 2010 tmw.dbf

I am not sure how this happened, so please let me know how to properly change the program's settings and move the files.

Thank you,

boomer3200

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Default Directories on Linux

Post by sven-l » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:54 am

That's strange. All the files and folders you mentioned should be in the folder /home/user/SoftMaker by default. Which Linux distribution (Suse, Ubuntu, Fedora, ect.) are you using? Which install archive (.deb, .rpm or .tgz) have you used to install the Office?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

boomer3200

Post by boomer3200 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks for your reply. I am running FreeBSD 8.2 with Linux compatibility enabled. I used the shell installer in the .tgz archive to install the program.

After some testing, I think that this happened because Textmaker asks for a folder for documents on the first run, so I entered the folder I intended to use for new created documents ("~/docs"). The assumption was that entering that folder would determine the default save point for new .tmd files. Is that incorrect?

I would prefer if the Bullets, Designs, and Samples directories along with the two .dbf files were under ~/.softmaker, but I have hesitated to move them because the existing path must be stored somewhere in the configuration.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:11 pm

I referred the problem you described under FreeBSD to our developers.
You could try to copy the folders and files from the directory ~/docs to ~/softmaker and, if everything works fine, delete the files in the ~/docs folder or just rename the folder for a test.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

boomer3200

Post by boomer3200 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:32 am

Renaming the ~/docs folder did not seem to affect startup and use of Textmaker. The FAQ, Readme and World Languages .tmd files are clearly not going to cause a problem. But what is the purpose of biblio.dbf and tmw.dbf? I am not certain if they are samples or data storage points that get overwritten. Similarly what about the Bullets, Designs, and Samples directories?

I think that the paths are coded in separate .config files for each program after further research. For example, after I renamed the docs directory and opened Readme.tmd, my tm10config.ini file under ~/.softmaker contained the following lines among others:

Code: Select all

DefaultDocumentPath=/usr/home/dp/docs/
TemplatePath=/usr/home/dp/.softmaker/templates/
Documents=/home/dp/rnm-docs/Samples/
Databases=/usr/home/dp/docs/
Pictures=/usr/home/dp/docs/
Macros=/usr/home/dp/docs/
I tested this out on a virutal machine with the demo to avoid breaking my actual system. Please let me know if you have any further insights from your developers.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:12 am

biblio.dbf is a sample bibliography file. If you don't use bibliographies, you can ignore this file.

tmw.dbf is the address database that is linked to our letter and fax templates. If you use these templates, you should keep the file.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:51 pm

boomer3200 wrote:I have Softmaker 2010 installed and running well. Most of my settings and templates are under "~/.softmaker" as expected. However, some Softmaker resources appear under "~/docs" (a directory I intended to use for documents.

The following appears under "~/docs" and really should be in the "~/.softmaker" folder if possible:

drwxr-xr-x 2 dp admin 5632 Jul 9 21:05 Bullets
drwxr-xr-x 2 dp admin 1536 Jul 9 21:05 Designs
-rw-r--r-- 1 dp admin 16862 Mar 31 2010 FAQ (English).tmd
-rw-r--r-- 1 dp admin 13832 Mar 31 2010 Readme.tmd
drwxr-xr-x 2 dp admin 512 Jul 9 21:05 Samples
-rw-r--r-- 1 dp admin 23544 Mar 31 2010 World Languages.tmd
-rw-r--r-- 1 dp admin 961 Mar 31 2010 biblio.dbf
-rw-r--r-- 1 dp admin 1051 Mar 31 2010 tmw.dbf

I am not sure how this happened, so please let me know how to properly change the program's settings and move the files.

Thank you,

boomer3200

An answer from the developers:

The files should definitely not be in the ~/.softmaker folder. The ~/SoftMaker folder is used for them.
Just move the files/folders in that folder and either delete the prwconfig10.ini in the ~/.softmaker folder or manually adjust the pathes in the ini file.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

boomer3200

Post by boomer3200 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:12 am

Thanks very much for all of your help. I'll have a try at editing each of the three .ini files for Textmaker, Planmaker, and Presentations then.

One final question and then I will not take up any more of your time on this issue. If I make a mess of things, can I just delete the .softmaker and the other existing installed files under ~/docs in my Home directory to have a new set of defaults installed on the next run? Or will this cause problems? I've never tried on the Linux version.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:11 am

There should be a folder called "Settings" in the .softmaker folder. Just delete it an restart TextMaker, PlanMaker or Presentations to have a new set of defaults.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “General”