[SOLVED] Text Frame that moves with a column of text

This forum is for questions, suggestions, and issues that are general to SoftMaker Office 2010 for Linux and not specific to one of its applications.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

DJungk

[SOLVED] Text Frame that moves with a column of text

Post by DJungk » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:30 am

Hi,
What I'm trying to do is this: I create books for language students, to be printed on letter size paper, with a 4" column of text and a left margin of 1". in the 3.5" right margin, I put small text frames with translations or extra information. These are kind of like footnotes, but one the side, lined up with the word or phrase they refer to. I would like these text frames to move up and down with the text (or to the next page if appropriate) when the main text is edited. Neither "fix to paragraph" nor "Anchor to text" in the text frame properties window seems to do this. Is it possible?

Don
Last edited by DJungk on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jossi

Re: Text Frame that moves with a column of text

Post by Jossi » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:38 am

Yes, it is. As I don't have Linux installed, I can only give the solution for the Windows version, but I suppose it will be the same in Linux: In object properties, tab "Layout", the horizontal and (especially) the vertical position must be set "Relative to Paragraph". The default setting is "Relative to Page"; in this case, the frames won't move, even if they are set to "Move with text" and "Keep anchor at current paragraph" (which are the correct settings for your issue).

DJungk

Post by DJungk » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:13 am

Hi Jossi,
Thank you for responding. I actually do have both vertical and horizontal position set to relative to paragraph. I suspect that it isn't going to work because the text frame is outside the main text column margins.
Don

Jossi

Post by Jossi » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:04 pm

No, this shouldn't be the reason; objects like text frames can be positioned anywhere on the page. Could you attach a sample document to investigate this further?

DJungk

Post by DJungk » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:57 pm

Sure, here is the first page. I want the text frames at the right to move up and down approximately with the words in bold in the text. Now, If I add a few lines or delete a few, the frames do not move.

Thank you for your time,
Don
Attachments
textframe.tmd
(29.63 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

DJungk

Post by DJungk » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:00 pm

Another note. I realized that I put this question in the TextMaker 10 forum, so I sent the file in TextMaker 10 also. I usually use TextMaker 12, but have seen no difference with this issue.

Don

Jossi

Post by Jossi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:02 pm

Hi Don,

problem solved. Textframes #1 and #2 were positioned relative to paragraph, but they were anchored to the heading paragraph; so, when text was inserted below the heading, they didn't move. When you select an object, this icon shows you to which paragraph the object is anchored:
Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-01 um 11.55.20.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-01 um 11.55.20.png (2.21 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
You may simply drag this icon with the mouse to the right paragraph.
Frames #3-5 were positioned relative to page, #4 and #5 additionally anchored to heading.
I attach a corrected version of the document.

Cheers
Jossi
Attachments
textframe corr.tmd
(32.17 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

DJungk

Re: Text Frame that moves with a column of text [SOLVED]

Post by DJungk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:40 pm

¡ Fantastic ! That does it. I never noticed that anchor icon before.

Thank you,
Don

Return to “General”