Poor multi-thread use

Post bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Presentations 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Pedro

Poor multi-thread use

Postby Pedro » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:50 am

I have a Ion 330 PC, which has 2 cores each with 2 threads.

Presentations takes 1 minute and 30 seconds to open a heavy (45Mb) Powerpoint file, which only takes 7 seconds to load in Powerpoint.

I realize that there are a lot of conversions involved, but each action takes ages... I just switched to Firefox to write this and now Presentations is blank and doesn't respond...

After loading the file Powerpoint uses 111Mb RAM, while Softmaker takes up to 180Mb (and locks...)

Can you fix this?

(BTW the Powerpoint presentation looks incredibly similar in both programs, which doesn't happen with other Office suites ;) Congratulations to the Softmaker team)

Philip-J

Re: Poor multi-thread use

Postby Philip-J » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:40 am

Hello,

we need to test it with your presentation. Can you please upload it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?setlang=en.
If the upload is finished you get a link. Please send us the link to: forum(at)softmaker.de Thank you!
Philip Jedamzik
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Pedro

Postby Pedro » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry, I'm not authorized to upload this document.
I can run a debug build if you have one...

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:54 am

Yes, please send us the debug file tmlog.txt (start textmaker.exe with -debug). Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Pedro

Postby Pedro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:25 pm

I think you meant presentations.exe -debug

In any case there was no log output. presentations never finishes to load so I have to kill it using task manager....

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:44 am

Pedro,

yes, its presentations.exe -debug. I was wrong :oops:

But without an example file and no log file created it is almost impossible for us to find the problem and fix it. Maybe you can distort/modify the content of the file and then upload it? We don't need the exact content, we just need to reproduce the problem somehow.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Pedro

Postby Pedro » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:59 pm

I did some more testing and in fact Presentations never locks. It just takes 90 seconds to open and over 30 seconds to do any operation. E.g Maximize window: window becomes irresponsive and with blank parts and after some 30 seconds the window is maximized.

The main problem here, as I mentioned is that Presentations is only using one thread of one core... Since the Ion 330 "only" runs at 1.60GHz it seems like the program is locked.

If you could optimize the code for multi-thread, multi-processor this would be a much better product for low spec PCs and netbooks (which I think is one of the targets for Softmaker?)

BTW OpenOffice takes a little over 1 minute to open the file but the resulting rendering is much inferior to Presentations...

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:45 am

I referred your wish/suggestion for a better multi-thread support as a feature request to our developer.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker Presentations 2010 for Windows”