Slow saving

Post bug reports and suggestions for PlanMaker 2010 and PlanMaker Viewer 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

mmacauley

Slow saving

Post by mmacauley » Thu May 26, 2011 3:40 am

I recently purchased the upgrade from Softmaker Office 2008 to 2010, running on Windows XP. Most of the time I use PlanMaker, and I notice the new version seems to be quicker when editing data. However, saving files has become much slower. One of my documents now takes approximately 10 seconds to save, even if I haven't made any changes. Another one takes only about a second if I save manually, but when it does the auto-save (according to the setting in Tools-Options), it's very slow, taking about 5-10 seconds.

On the surface, neither of these documents is all that huge. In fact, the slowest-saving one is not even the largest. However, now that I examine the Statistics tab in File-Properties, I see the following:

For the slowest-saving file:
Cells:
Total: 273964 (I'm sure I don't use more than a tiny fraction of these)
Text: 56
Numbers: 204
Worksheets: 5
Pages: 5
(Everything Else: 0)

For the other one, which is slow to autosave but quick to manually save:
Cells:
Total: 3260
Text: 160
Numbers: 515
Formulas: 933
Worksheets: 3
Pages: 17
(Everything Else: 0)

About the first file, I have no idea why it has such a huge number of cells. For what it's worth, I know that a good number of cells (maybe 400) have conditional formatting applied, affecting borders and shading.

Any idea why the saving has become so slow, and what I can do about it? It's rather disruptive to my workflow to have the program hang up for 10 seconds while autosaving (or manually saving so I don't lose my work). My computer's not new but it's not THAT slow. Pentium III 1.2 GHz, 760 MB RAM, Windows XP.

Thanks in advance.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Slow saving

Post by sven-l » Thu May 26, 2011 8:09 am

Can you please send us an example file that PlanMaker 2008 saves much faster than PlanMaker 2010 to forum(at)softmaker.de? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “PlanMaker 2010 for Windows”