Any programmers made an addon for getting stock quotes?

Post bug reports and suggestions for PlanMaker 2010 and PlanMaker Viewer 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

mshideler

Any programmers made an addon for getting stock quotes?

Post by mshideler » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:54 am

I am hoping that the addition of retrieving stock quotes in still in the works for Plan Maker. I am getting tired of using Open Office for some tasks.

However, until that day comes I am hoping that some genius programmer has created a downloadable addon for Plan Maker that will go out to the internet and grab stock prices.

So I am going to go light a candle now and hope that someone has a solution that might read this thread.

Thank you.

mshideler

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Any programmers made an addon for getting stock quotes?

Post by sven-l » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:01 am

No need to start a new thread:
http://www.softmaker.com/forum/viewtopi ... 163#p28163

Our programmers are working on it but there is no release date for that feature.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:28 am

There is a point in starting this discussion again in this forum because the beta forum where this was originally posted is now hidden to outsiders.

mshideler, can you tell me more about the requirements of such a feature? Which third-party product that does stock quote acquisition in the "other" spreadsheet do you like best? I cannot promise that we will implement such a feature in the nearest future, but I want to at least have all the facts to make an internal proposal.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

mshideler

Post by mshideler » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Martin:

Sorry for being slow on my reply. I apparently forgot how to log into the forums.

There are a couple of extentions for Open Office, of which I use the CalcstockAddon.oxt, but I am attaching another option as well, GetQuote.oxt. I have not used GetQuote, but it did come with a short PDF that explains it's use and functionality.

With the CalcstockAddon.oxt, the functionality is very simple (it might only work with USA listed stock exchanges so I do not know if you can test it with German stock symbols).

Pretend that I have a spread sheet setup with the stock name in A1, then in B1 I have the ticker symbol. In cell C1 I put in the call for Calstockaddin to do its work. The spreadsheet might look like the example below.

A B C
1 Johnson & Johnson JNJ =GETPRICE(b1)

Or, instead of referencing the cell in GETPRICE you can also just use =GETPRICE("jnj")
Open Office Addons and Extensions.zip
(318.83 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Both addons are pretty small in size and they do very little regarding functionality, but they save a whole ton of time. Hopefully they are easy to reverse engineer.

Regarding the ability in MS Excel - I have not used Excel in so long I cannot remember what command gets it to work, but the result was the same as the one I use - get the stock price and display it.

Functionality - the one thing that the stock price tools are lacking is that they refresh each time you open the file, or reload, which normally is ok. However if you are on a computer that is offline or the internet is down the spreadsheet blows up as the stock quotes are all 0. Having a llist of financials and all kinds of formulas going on the number 0 creates all kinds of chaos, like divide by zero, etc.

So, ultimately it would be nice if a stock quoting function could get the stock price and then either display it in the cell in which you made the call from, OR BETTER YET, take the price and put it into a target cell of your choice while allowing you to have it ignore '0' values. This way if the internet is down and say Johnson & Johnson was trading at $65.00 per share and you open the spreadsheet offline the getquote will return a value of $0. Since $0 is a indication of lack of internet the user can configure the quoting addon to NOT replace the $65.00 value with the $0 value thus keeping the spreadsheet intact.

My current financial spreadsheet that I use to track stocks has 9 tabs and around 100 to 150 stock quotes queried for. There are approximately 200 cells that depend on a non-zero stock quote being returned.

MShideler

TerryWood

Post by TerryWood » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi

I would be very interested in such an addon, BUT for the UK market, AND not just for UK stocks, BUT UK & Ireland mutual funds.

Thanks

Terry

Return to “PlanMaker 2010 for Windows”