Reusing data

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2010 and TextMaker Viewer 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

oblivion

Reusing data

Post by oblivion » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:08 pm

I'm trying to create a TextMaker document template that contains an envelope with an area for the address and an A4 letter as the next page.

That bit is easy.

What I can't work out how to do is collect a name and address into fields and use that information for both the envelope and the address part of the letter. I could probably do it if I wanted an address database and was using mailmerge fields, but that seems too complicated for something that's only going to be used in one document.

Is there a straightforward way to do this, or do I need to learn BasicMaker? :think:

Jossi

Re: Reusing data

Post by Jossi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:03 am

The address field on page 1 should be a text frame. When you select it by clicking its border, you see the name (e.g. "Textbox2") in the toolbar.
Now type your address, but avoid using new paragraphs (Enter); use line breaks (Shift+Enter) instead.
On page 2, place the cursor where the address shall appear (this can be in a text frame or plain text). Now insert a calculation by pressing F2 and double-click the name of the address textbox (Textbox.2) in "Variable/field".
Close the dialog box and press F9 to transfer the address to page 2.
You may now delete the address on page 1 and save the document as a template.
Each time you type a new address when using the template, it can be transferred to page 2 with F9. (As only the first paragraph in the text frame is processed by the calculation, it's essential to use line breaks instead of paragraphs in the address.)

Return to “TextMaker 2010 for Windows”