Mailmerge Printing Labels

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2010 and TextMaker Viewer 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

TerryWood

Mailmerge Printing Labels

Post by TerryWood » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi

I am using Softmaker Office 2010 and I want know how to "automate" printing labels from the softmaker database. By this I mean I want to set up a template with fields in it that can then be used to fill each label with a different address AND one can choose also which addresses are used, AND I would like to be able to, say, print only one or two labels and choose which labels to use on the Avery A4 sheet of labels.

Are these objectives possible in SO 2010 and or SO 2012?

It certainly is possible with Libre Office but one has to have a degree in computing to set it all up. It certainly is not user friendly.

The reason behind this question is that I need to use labels and it appears to me that SO 2010 is deficient in label production (I stand to be corrected) I was going to upgrade to the 2012 version but I NEED the label functionality hence the questions

Thanks

Terry

Jossi

Re: Mailmerge Printing Labels

Post by Jossi » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi Terry,

first of all, you need a label template. Go to Insert > Lists & Labels..., choose "New", name it, select the database you want to use and place the necessary fields into the mask by double-clicking their names. For labels, select "Insert as table" and set the number of columns and the label height. Under "Records" choose "Selected Records", then click "OK" and then "Close".

Check your page margins (most label sheets need no margin at all or very narrow ones) and save the document as a document template.

For printing labels, go to File > New... and select this document template, then go to Tools > Edit database, choose the database with the data you need for your labels and select (= check at the left) in list view the records you want to print. Go to File > Close (or Ctrl+4) to return to your document, then go to Insert > Lists & Labels..., select the label template you made in the first step and click "Insert". That's it, basically.

If you are going to print a label sheet step-by-step (only one or two at at time, just as it comes), you need as many empty entries in your database as there are labels in your sheet, minus one. During the "Edit database" step, select as many empty entries as the number of labels already used, then the ones you want to print and sort the database so that the empty entries are at the beginning (if they ain't there anyway). Then proceed as above.

Cheers
Jossi

TerryWood

Post by TerryWood » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi Jossi

Many, many thanks for your very helpful reply. I actually thought my problem had been cracked, but,........

There is one major flaw with your solution. Let me try and explain. I am using Labels on a sheet, 3 columns x 8 rows 33.9mm x 64mm.

Using your solution, when you print out the names and addresses the 3 x 8 text boxes expand in height differentially according to the number of rows in the address. It appears that there is no way to FIX THE SIZES of each text box. You can input a minimum size, but clearly if the text boxes made in Softmaker don't match the size of the physical labels then you are not able to produce labels with a centered address.

Have I missed something?

Thanks

Terry

Jossi

Post by Jossi » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi Terry,

you are right - the label height you enter is per default not a fixed but a minimum height, to make sure that all information is actually displayed. If it were a fixed height, the surplus lines that don't fit into the label would simply disappear.
Of course this is quite inconvenient for printing. But the good news is: As the result of the label function is an ordinary table, it can be easily repaired.

1. After the last step ("Insert") the resulting table is displayed on screen. Go to the cell/cells which is/are too big and choose a smaller font size to make the text fit.
2. Go to Table > Select > Table.
3. Go to Table > Row properties and set the height to "Exact" and "3,4 cm".
4. Print.

Unfortunately you will have to repeat this every time you want to print an oversize label as the font size can't be saved in the label template.

The general idea is that you can edit all or some labels before printing in many ways, e.g. by adding graphics, changing paragraph or character formatting (font, style, color and so on) or cell properties (cell margins, vertical alignment ("Centered" instead of "Top"), borders or shading) and so make your labels a lot prettier.

Merry Xmas
Jossi

Return to “TextMaker 2010 for Windows”