Can picture caption numbers automatically update in text?

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2010 and TextMaker Viewer 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

David.Boettcher

Can picture caption numbers automatically update in text?

Postby David.Boettcher » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:56 pm

I have a document with a lot of picture frames to which I add captions with figure numbers. I then refer to these figure numbers in the text, e.g. "See Figure xx for an example . . ."

The automatic numbering of the captions is a great help, especially if I insert another figure, when all subsequent captions figure numbers are incremented. But this leaves my references in the text wrong for all the subsequent figures.

Say I have a figure 20, and in the text I say "See figure 20 for . . .". Then I insert a figure before the current figure 20. Figure 20 is automatically updated to be figure 21, but my text still says "See figure 20 for . . ."

Is there any way of linking the caption number of a figure to the text which refers to it, so that if the caption number changes, the reference to it in the text changes as well? I have looked in the help file but cannot find this. It would make my life so much easier because I often develop documents and add new figures to them as I go along.

Regards - David

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Can picture caption numbers automatically update in text

Postby sven-l » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:05 am

It seems that your "20" is pure text. Try to insert it as a field (Insert=>Field=>Sequence number). Does that work?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

David.Boettcher

Postby David.Boettcher » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am

sven-l wrote:It seems that your "20" is pure text. Try to insert it as a field (Insert=>Field=>Sequence number). Does that work?

Hi Sven,

That is exactly what I want, thank you.

However, having tried this, I have a couple of problems. The first picture shows that the field inserted into the text is referring to the wrong figure number. The figure number is 3 and the field is showing 5. I have tried F9 but nothing changes.

The next picture shows the same numbering problem, the field inserted into the text reads 7 whereas the figure I want it to refer to is numbered 6.

But there is also another problem here which I have only just noticed: the figure numbering jumps from 6 to 8. And in fact, the figure numbered 6 actually follows figure 4, and therefore should be numbered 5! Because I have only just noticed this it means that all my manually inserted field numbers are also wrong!!! grrrrrrr!!!!

You can reproduce all these problems in the file I uploaded as part of my Picture Placement thread http://www.softmaker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=178&t=9448&p=35636#p35636

Regards - David

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:04 am

Sorry, David. It seems that I was wrong here. Insert=>Field=>Sequence number only inserts a complete new sequence number and does not refer to the existing caption number. this is not possible at the moment. I will open a feature request for that.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

David.Boettcher

Postby David.Boettcher » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:57 am

sven-l wrote:Sorry, David. It seems that I was wrong here. Insert=>Field=>Sequence number only inserts a complete new sequence number and does not refer to the existing caption number. this is not possible at the moment. I will open a feature request for that.

Sven,

Thank you for that.

I might emphasise that having picture caption numbers which automatically update but don't update the corresponding references to them in the text is really pretty useless.

Try creating a document with 25 captioned (numbered) pictures, referring to them all by number in the text, sometimes more than once, and then adding a new picture at the beginning. You have to hunt through the text and change all the references one by one.

This is a nightmare which is highly error prone - I know from bitter experience.

Regards - David

David.Boettcher

Postby David.Boettcher » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:30 am

sven-l wrote:Sorry, David. It seems that I was wrong here. Insert=>Field=>Sequence number only inserts a complete new sequence number and does not refer to the existing caption number. this is not possible at the moment. I will open a feature request for that.

Hi Sven,

Rather than wait for this feature to be added to TextMaker I have been playing with Libre Office and discovered that it can in fact already do exactly what I want.

Here is a test document into which I have inserted 3 figures with numbered captions, and sprinkled references to these caption numbers in the text. The grey backgrounds highlight the caption reference field - the grey backgrounds are automatically suppressed when the document is printed.

Here is the same document with a new figure inserted at the beginning. As you can see, the caption reference numbers have all updated automatically in the text.

This is exactly what I want, so I am sorry but I am going to be using Libre Office Writer for this type of article in the future.

It is a shame that even the 2012 version of TextMaker cannot do this, which seems to me to be a pretty basic requirement for a modern word processor.

Regards - David

Return to “TextMaker 2010 for Windows”