Anchoring captions to picture frames?

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2010 and TextMaker Viewer 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

David.Boettcher

Anchoring captions to picture frames?

Post by David.Boettcher » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:58 pm

If I insert a picture frame I can right click on it and add a caption.

But if I move the picture, the caption doesn't move with it!

Is it possible to attach the caption to the picture so that they both move together?

Regards - David

Jossi

Re: Anchoring captions to picture frames?

Post by Jossi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Go into object mode, select both frames (picture and caption) and choose Object > Group.

David.Boettcher

Post by David.Boettcher » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:12 am

Jossi wrote:Go into object mode, select both frames (picture and caption) and choose Object > Group.
OK that works, thanks.

I was expecting to be told that it cannot be done.

So, as it is possible, indeed quite easy but tedious, can anyone explain why the picture and caption object are not grouped like this automatically? As there is a dedicated right click function to add a caption to a picture, surely it would be simple to make this function automatically group the caption and picture? I can't think of any reason why anyone would not want a caption to be grouped with the picture it refers to.

On a related topic, when I create a picture frame I like it to be linked to the paragraph which is talking about the picture, and also for the aspect ratio to be preserved (why the default is to not preserve the aspect ratio is a mystery to me). Is it possible to change the defaults so that my preferred options are chosen when I create a picture frame?

Thanks for your help!

Regards - David

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:13 am

David.Boettcher wrote: So, as it is possible, indeed quite easy but tedious, can anyone explain why the picture and caption object are not grouped like this automatically? As there is a dedicated right click function to add a caption to a picture, surely it would be simple to make this function automatically group the caption and picture? I can't think of any reason why anyone would not want a caption to be grouped with the picture it refers to.

On a related topic, when I create a picture frame I like it to be linked to the paragraph which is talking about the picture, and also for the aspect ratio to be preserved (why the default is to not preserve the aspect ratio is a mystery to me). Is it possible to change the defaults so that my preferred options are chosen when I create a picture frame?

Thanks for your help!

Regards - David
I will refer that as a suggestion for future versions to our developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

David.Boettcher

Post by David.Boettcher » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:41 am

sven-l wrote:
David.Boettcher wrote: So, as it is possible, indeed quite easy but tedious, can anyone explain why the picture and caption object are not grouped like this automatically? As there is a dedicated right click function to add a caption to a picture, surely it would be simple to make this function automatically group the caption and picture? I can't think of any reason why anyone would not want a caption to be grouped with the picture it refers to.
I will refer that as a suggestion for future versions to our developers.
Hi Sven,

Thanks for that. I hope someone can do it, it must be very easy to alter the caption function to group the caption with the picture.

Did you also see the second part of my question:
David.Boettcher wrote:On a related topic, when I create a picture frame I like it to be linked to the paragraph which is talking about the picture, and also for the aspect ratio to be preserved (why the default is to not preserve the aspect ratio is a mystery to me). Is it possible to change the defaults so that my preferred options are chosen when I create a picture frame?
Is it possible to change the defaults for these settings: "Link to paragraph" and "Preserve aspect ratio"?

I also have another question now. I tried to alter some default setting by editing the template Normal.tmv, but when I tried to save it I got the error message "Error saving file. Disk Full? (2000)". Why was this? The disk isn't full, it has 151GB free.

Thanks for your help!

Regards - David

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:04 am

David.Boettcher wrote:
David.Boettcher wrote:On a related topic, when I create a picture frame I like it to be linked to the paragraph which is talking about the picture, and also for the aspect ratio to be preserved (why the default is to not preserve the aspect ratio is a mystery to me). Is it possible to change the defaults so that my preferred options are chosen when I create a picture frame?
Is it possible to change the defaults for these settings: "Link to paragraph" and "Preserve aspect ratio"?
No, that's not possible. I will open a feature request for that.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:07 am

David.Boettcher wrote: I also have another question now. I tried to alter some default setting by editing the template Normal.tmv, but when I tried to save it I got the error message "Error saving file. Disk Full? (2000)". Why was this? The disk isn't full, it has 151GB free.

Thanks for your help!

Regards - David
Does the problem still occur after a reboot of your machine?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

David.Boettcher

Post by David.Boettcher » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:20 am

sven-l wrote:
David.Boettcher wrote: I also have another question now. I tried to alter some default setting by editing the template Normal.tmv, but when I tried to save it I got the error message "Error saving file. Disk Full? (2000)". Why was this? The disk isn't full, it has 151GB free.

Thanks for your help!

Regards - David
Does the problem still occur after a reboot of your machine?
Yes, I have just tried to save the Normal.tmv file again this morning after restarting the machine which was shut down overnight and I got the same error message.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1.

Regards - David

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:14 am

I wrote you a PM.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2010 for Windows”