Default System PDF File Viewer "Is Not Called" to View

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2010 and TextMaker Viewer 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

tgindy

Default System PDF File Viewer "Is Not Called" to View

Postby tgindy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:10 am

When the TextMaker PDF Toolbar-Icon is used to make a PDF-file from the current TextMaker document, the Adobe PDF Reader is called, to view the file.

Note that (free) PDF-XChange Viewer is my default system PDF-file viewer -- TextMaker calls Adobe PDF Reader. Work-Around: I use TextMaker's File/Print pulldown menu, to load the (free) PDFill print driver, to call the system default PDF-file viewer -- PDF-XChange Viewer to view the new PDF-file.

Suggestion: Add under TextMaker's PDF Toolbar-Icon "Preferences" (and the other Office/Viewer apps) a checkbox -- "Use System Default PDF File Viewer."

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Default System PDF File Viewer "Is Not Called" to View

Postby sven-l » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:54 pm

I will refer your suggestion to the developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

JjMaj

Postby JjMaj » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:09 pm

So as it stand right now unless you use Adobe Reader as your default you will continue to get the error. I currently use Nitro PDF Reader and TextMaker 2010 will not open it and Nitro is my default reader app. Will there be a fix or work around for this or should I just make Adobe Acrobat my system default?

Thanks
John

tgindy

Postby tgindy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:30 am

Currently, Adobe Reader is the only PDF-file viewer called, when you use TextMaker's PDF Toolbar Icon.

Refer to my work-around above -- Using the File/Print pulldown menu in TextMaker. You must first download and install a PDF-driver. A new PDF-file can be created from any program; then the system default PDF-file Viewer will be called, and; PDFill's driver uses the system default PDF-file Viewer.

My recommendation is the free PDFill Tools (www.pdfill.com/) due to many extra PDF utilities built into the program. PDF Creator is another good free PDF-driver, but is limited only to create new PDF-files. Each program/driver does create clean page-breaks on PDF-files without cutting off any of the print/graphics.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:43 am

SoftMaker Office uses the PDF viewer that is registered to view .pdf files. This can be Adobe Reader or any other reader.

The problem is however that there are several places in the Windows Registry to register for PDF files, and it seems your alternative viewers did not write to all these places. That's why SoftMaker Office still thinks Adobe Reader is the one to call.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Neil_Parks

Postby Neil_Parks » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:46 pm

tgindy wrote:Note that (free) PDF-XChange Viewer is my default system PDF-file viewer -- TextMaker calls Adobe PDF Reader. Work-Around: I use TextMaker's File/Print pulldown menu, to load the (free) PDFill print driver, to call the system default PDF-file viewer -- PDF-XChange Viewer to view the new PDF-file.

With Xchange Viewer as your default you don't need Adobe Reader. You could uninstall it.
"Program in haste; debug at leisure."

Return to “TextMaker 2010 for Windows”