Suggestion: Split-sceening for long documents

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2010 and TextMaker Viewer 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

arobbo

Suggestion: Split-sceening for long documents

Post by arobbo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:08 pm

Dear SoftMaker Team,

When having to cross-check bibliographic material with in-text citations in long documents such as a thesis, it is extremely difficult to do so without the provision of either a split-screen option, or the capability to view different parts of the same document simultaneously on separate windows. Is there a method you can suggest to work-around this issue, or might you consider such a feature in later versions of TextMaker?

Cheers.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Suggestion: Split-sceening for long documents

Post by sven-l » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:26 pm

Hello,

currently its not possible to open the same document more than one time with TextMaker. Thats very difficult to implement but its on our wishlist for upcoming verisons. But ou can save your file under another name and open it together with your first file. You can then sort the document windows vertically or horizontally.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

mzecher

Post by mzecher » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:38 am

Please note that this is one of the most wanted features for OpenOffice:

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=19291

Here the top feature requests from OpenOffice can be seen, they may serve as a guide for SoftMaker developers.

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/buglis ... issue_type

joeyboy

Post by joeyboy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:04 pm

I would definitely like to see this in TextMaker, in fact it's currently a dealbreaker for me - much as I'd like to use TextMaker rather than MS Word.

When can we expect to see it realized?

Cheers

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:22 am

There is no fix release date for this feature. I raised the priority a bit.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:34 pm

I strongly agree that there is a need to be able to see two parts of a document at the same time. There is a downside to doing this, though, which is that only half the screen-height (or some adjusted proportion) then remains for editing and adding text, which is counter-productive when editing complex documents and needing to see more than a paragraph or so at a time.

As Charlie Croker said in the last line of 'The Italian Job,'

"Its alright lads, I've got a great idea."

Use the tabs.

Make it possible to open two copies of the same document in adjacent tabs.
This is already possible, in fact, but its a palaver. One has to open one, save it as a different file name, then reopen it in the original name. So program TM2010 to allow opening an already-open document. A prompt is needed to confirm intentional opening of two copies of the same doc in separate tabs.

In order to deliver this functionality quickly and easily, just make one of the copies read-only.

Further improvements could follow and would be most welcome (and probably eagerly sought after). Example - auto-updating the read-only copy when saving changes to the main copy in another tab. Even better - allow editing in either of them, with auto-updating in the other.
Don't wait until all this can be done before including the basic idea of two open tabs with one read-only - I'd sooner have the latter right away, and I'll bet the developers could implement it in 30 minutes.

The above would be VERY useful.
---
John

arobbo

Post by arobbo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:54 pm

JohnWasilewski wrote:
Use the tabs.

...would be VERY useful.
---
John
...what an extremely elegant solution to the persistent problem of editing complex documents, John - well done! I really hope that SoftMaker takes this suggestion up, especially with the auto-update function across multiple tabs. This 'live' feature was achieved with the gold-standard statistical software "StatView 5.0.1" over 10 years ago - it should not prove any major problem for the SoftMaker Team (another challenge!). Even the 'ghost' (read only) option you suggest would be a real advancement...

Cheers!

PS Charlie Croker Rules

joeyboy

Post by joeyboy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:22 am

Hi there, any news on the introduction of a split-screen feature (two views of the same document) for TextMaker?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:10 pm

joeyboy wrote:Hi there, any news on the introduction of a split-screen feature (two views of the same document) for TextMaker?
No. We will inform you as soon as this is available.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

joeyboy

Post by joeyboy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi, is there any progress on the split-screen feature for TextMaker?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Not yet. We will inform you as soon as this is available.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2010 for Windows”