Does textmaker (free ver.) autosaves?

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2010 and TextMaker Viewer 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

goldenattract

Does textmaker (free ver.) autosaves?

Postby goldenattract » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Does it auto-saves as a temporary .bak file or autosaves the original file so I do not have to save it myself? Or does it do both?

Note: question is for freeoffice textmaker (rev 697)

Jossi

Re: Does textmaker (free ver.) autosaves?

Postby Jossi » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:43 pm

You have to save a new document yourself at least once, but TextMaker reminds you when you are going to close the program and have new or changed documents still open; then a dialogue box appears and asks if you want to save these documents first before closing. If you don't, they are lost when you leave the program (or close the document window without saving).

Autosave creates a hidden copy of your document which is only used if TextMaker crashes. When autosave is on and you restart the program after a crash, you are asked if you want to reopen the documents in use before the crash, and if you answer yes, the copies produced by autosave are opened. (These copies preserve the document state at the time of latest autosaving, so they are not quite up-to-date, depending on the autosave interval you have chosen.) So, autosave is no substitution for regular saving of your documents.

.bak files are still a different matter. If you choose "Create backup files" in Tools > Options..., tab "Files", then every time you save a document, the existing copy is not overwritten, but renamed to .bak; so you keep the earlier saved state of the document as an additional fallback in case you erroneously save a corrupted or defective state of your document.

goldenattract

Postby goldenattract » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:33 pm

Jossi wrote:Autosave creates a hidden copy of your document which is only used if TextMaker crashes. When autosave is on and you restart the program after a crash, you are asked if you want to reopen the documents in use before the crash, and if you answer yes, the copies produced by autosave are opened. (These copies preserve the document state at the time of latest autosaving, so they are not quite up-to-date, depending on the autosave interval you have chosen.) So, autosave is no substitution for regular saving of your documents.

Okay thanks for the quick response. It really helps.

Also, I would like to know what if you computer shut downs or restarts unexpectedly, does it still ask you to reopen the documents in use before the shut down or restart?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:19 am

goldenattract wrote:
Jossi wrote:Autosave creates a hidden copy of your document which is only used if TextMaker crashes. When autosave is on and you restart the program after a crash, you are asked if you want to reopen the documents in use before the crash, and if you answer yes, the copies produced by autosave are opened. (These copies preserve the document state at the time of latest autosaving, so they are not quite up-to-date, depending on the autosave interval you have chosen.) So, autosave is no substitution for regular saving of your documents.

Okay thanks for the quick response. It really helps.

Also, I would like to know what if you computer shut downs or restarts unexpectedly, does it still ask you to reopen the documents in use before the shut down or restart?

Yes, SoftMaker Office then uses the last autosave to restore the document.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

goldenattract

Postby goldenattract » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:59 pm

sven-l wrote:Yes, SoftMaker Office then uses the last autosave to restore the document.

Okay. What if you are out-of-space can it still do the job? Like residing on an ALIEN planet like planet mars, Jupiter, Saturn or the MOON. (I am asking because I might take a trip to those alien places someday and I just MIGHT take textmaker with me. Don't laugh okay)

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:02 pm

If you try to stand on the surface of Jupiter, you'll have graver problems than not being able to restore a TextMaker document...
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2010 for Windows”