Transitions crash Presentations

This beta forum will be closed soon. Please post in the regular forum for SoftMaker Presentations 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

french

Transitions crash Presentations

Post by french » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:42 pm

When trying Presentations, creating a simple presentation, clicking on any slide transition name in the right panel causes Presentations to crash and it want's to send an error report to Microsoft.

I haven't tried them all, but the 4 I've tried so far all respond the same way.

build 566

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Transitions crash Presentations

Post by martin-k » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:44 pm

Was DirectX turned on (Tools/Options)? Does it go away when you turn it off?

Which Windows version, which version of DirectX?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

EricC

Post by EricC » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:52 pm

French, do you have the latest driver for your video card installed on your machine?

french

Post by french » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:26 pm

Tools/Options deselecting Enable DirectX support on the System tab ends the crashes.

Running WinXP SP3

How does one check for DirectX support in the machine's video system?

EricC

Post by EricC » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:36 pm

french wrote:Tools/Options deselecting Enable DirectX support on the System tab ends the crashes.

Running WinXP SP3

How does one check for DirectX support in the machine's video system?
Hi French,

What video card do you have on your machine? Also, let's see what directx version you have installed:

1. Click on your Start Menu and select Run.
2. In the Run field, type the following:

dxdiag

3. Once loaded, look at the bottom of the System tab to see what version of directx you have. Most likely 9.0c

french

Post by french » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:57 pm

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/19/2009, 13:27:24
Machine name: ANONYMOUS
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: GBT___
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 402MB used, 1290MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: /Silent
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Music Tab: DirectMusic test results: All tests were successful.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found. DirectPlay test results: All tests were successful.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Rage128
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RAGE128 PRO II, (AGP 4X/PCI)

DAC type: Internal DAC (350Mhz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5446&SUBSYS_7106174B&REV_00
Display Memory: 32.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: NEC LCD1712
Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
Driver Name: ati2dvaa.dll
Driver Version: 6.13.0010.5016 (English)
DDI Version: 8
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/27/2002 11:39:10, 377856 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ati2mtaa.sys
Mini VDD Date: 6/27/2002 11:38:54, 326400 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-1706-11CF-6367-0C51A2C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x5446
SubSys ID: 0x7106174B
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.

EricC

Post by EricC » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi French,

Thanks for the info. Your directx looks to be up to date. I did notice that you have an older video card. Here is what I can find on ATI's site as far as drivers:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/P ... cy-xp.aspx

If you have a chance, download the Rage 128/Rage 128 PRO driver, install it and see what happens.

-Eric

french

Post by french » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:58 pm

Before I muck about trying to upgrade drivers on a device that works with all other software I use, let's consider a couple of points:

The default setting for SoftMaker Presentations 2010 is to utilize DirectX, which on my machine crashes Presentations whenever a transition is selected. Shouldn't there be a bit of error checking built into the software and a fallback to no DirectX if an error is encountered?

The driver I currently have installed passed all of the dxdiag.exe tests without any issues. It has a newer issue date than the one you recommend I download and try. When I send Windows off to search for an updated driver, it reports I have the most up-to-date driver available for my hardware.

If dxdiag.exe doesn't find a problem and I've never encountered DirectX issues with other software, doesn't that kind of point to a SoftMaker programming issue?

EricC

Post by EricC » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:21 pm

french wrote:Before I muck about trying to upgrade drivers on a device that works with all other software I use, let's consider a couple of points:

The default setting for SoftMaker Presentations 2010 is to utilize DirectX, which on my machine crashes Presentations whenever a transition is selected. Shouldn't there be a bit of error checking built into the software and a fallback to no DirectX if an error is encountered?
That's a question for Martin and co.
french wrote: The driver I currently have installed passed all of the dxdiag.exe tests without any issues. It has a newer issue date than the one you recommend I download and try. When I send Windows off to search for an updated driver, it reports I have the most up-to-date driver available for my hardware.
Dxdiag only does a cursory check, not an indepth check. Thus dxdiag may think the driver is okay, but that doesn't mean there is not bug somewhere in the driver that would be found with putting the driver through its paces.

Also, having Windows saying the driver is up to date can be misleading. When Windows checks a driver, it looks at variety of items, including version numbers. Thus it can say your driver is up to date with since it has a higher version number. But that doesn't mean the newer driver is not buggy.
french wrote: If dxdiag.exe doesn't find a problem and I've never encountered DirectX issues with other software, doesn't that kind of point to a SoftMaker programming issue?
Not necessarily. The other software may not be triggering the bug in the driver.

The reason I am honing in on the video driver, is due to the fact it is one of the most common causes for problems. For instance, DirectX needs a video driver to:

1. Have some type of support for it.
2. Have the video driver do the work of displaying stuff on the screen.

I did think of one item to try before a driver change though:

1. Go to Control Panel->Display->Settings tab
2. Under Color quality, change it from Highest (32bit) to Medium (16bit).

Now try the directx presentation again.

-Eric

french

Post by french » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:54 pm

Changing color quality from 32 bit to 16 bit makes no difference.

Dialing back hardware acceleration to disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D cured the crashes, but I presume that's roughly equivalent to disabling DirectX in the Softmaker Options. There were two other settings between Full hardware acceleration and the one that disabled DirectDraw and Direct3D. SoftMaker Presentations continued to crash on transitions with those settings.

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:07 am

FWIW, I can't duplicate any crashes with or without DirectX enabled.
Cheers
Jim

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:41 am

I can't duplicate that crash too. I use Presentations rev. 566 on a Win XP SP3 machine with an ATI Radeon graphics card and the newest drivers installed. Its hard to give you an good solution as long as you use old drivers. I asked our developers if we can do anything in that case.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

EricC

Post by EricC » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:52 pm

sven-l wrote:I can't duplicate that crash too. I use Presentations rev. 566 on a Win XP SP3 machine with an ATI Radeon graphics card and the newest drivers installed. Its hard to give you an good solution as long as you use old drivers. I asked our developers if we can do anything in that case.
Hi Sven,

In this case, French does not have many options in terms of drivers as ATI has stopped developing drivers for his particular video card.

-Eric

french

Post by french » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:38 pm

and I really don't want to start playing with device drivers when all the other software I run on the system has no problems.

The video is integrated in the Gigabyte AGP8X motherboard in my computer. It was a fairly popular motherboard in its time. I've run into issues with video drivers on other machines from time to time, but never this one.

At any rate, it would be nice if SoftMaker could figure out a way to offer a "soft landing" if DirectX doesn't function on a system rather than the hard crash I've experienced.

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi French,

Admittedly I am not a technie and maybe Eric or Sven can address this, but if I disable the software's use of DirectX and it still works, it would seem to me that either the DirectX is NOT the problem, or the bug is related to the software disengaging itself from using DirectX.

Sven, Eric

Does this sound logical? Any thoughts?
Cheers
Jim

Return to “Beta: SoftMaker Presentations 2010 for Windows”