Saved xls file cannot be reopened by Excel

This beta forum will be closed soon. Please post in the regular forum for PlanMaker 2010 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

FabianFinlay

Saved xls file cannot be reopened by Excel

Post by FabianFinlay » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:54 pm

I accidentaly clicked save when I opened an xls file in Planmaker 2010 rather than saving a copy in pmd format. That file could no longer be opened by the original Excel 2000 software with which it was originally created. This raises questions about the true compatibilty with Excel but maybe it is not meant to be compatible with such old versions of Excel.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Saved xls file cannot be reopened by Excel

Post by martin-k » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:28 pm

We support Excel down to Excel 95, so this should definitely work. Can you send us the file? (ideally the original; if that doesn't exist anymore, then at least the one created by PlanMaker). Incidentally, there should be a .bak file which would be the original file (unless you saved twice).

Send it to forum(at)softmaker.de referencing this thread.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

FabianFinlay

Post by FabianFinlay » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:09 pm

I am afraid that particular file contains a lot of confidential data so I cannot send it. I will see if I can recreate the problem with a non confidential file but first attempt was trouble free.

I suspect it may be related to the problem of updating external references referred to in my other post as it is the file that contains a large number of external cell references , half of which do not work. I will try creating a file just containing these to see if that is the problem. Yes it is. The test file is attached.

I also noticed this time that it warned me on first converting the xls file that a large number of external cell references could not be converted. Continue anyway? to which I responded yes.

The attached file Textmaker test.xls will not reopen in Excel 2000 and fails to link most of the external references. It will reopen in Planmaker but on subsequent reopening does not warn that it cannot link to external references. I am afraid that none of the references will work for you anyway.

I then tried creating a very simple planmaker file with a single external reference and saving it as an xls 2000 file. When I tried reopening it with Excel it crashed so I guess you are not getting backwards compatibilty with external references.
Textmaker test.xls
(112.5 KiB) Downloaded 241 times

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:16 am

Part of what I am running into (and I suspect you realize this) is that there isn't an external reference to try to open.

I wonder if you could create a dummy file with just a couple of external references to another a dummy_2 file.

Is that possible? Or is it merely the opening of the file that concerns you? My guess is that the referencing is also important.
Cheers
Jim

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:49 am

Hello,

I referred that problem to our developers to investigate that and will inform you here as soon as I have more information.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

FabianFinlay

Post by FabianFinlay » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:56 am

Ok

I have created a trio of files that demonstrate the problems both for reopening after saving as an excel file and external references.

planmaker test2.xls replaces the original shares.xls to which most of the external references linked. That file also contained two other things which Planmaker does not support, macros and dde links, so I have stripped them out. It will now reopen with Excel 2000.

Baserate.pmd is the other file to which I was linking with external references. I have put it in Planmaker format to demonstrate that the format makes no difference.

Planmaker test.xls is the file that contains all the external references that show up as zero results. It now links to Planmaker test2.xls and baserate.pmd. I have changed one reference to include the sheet name and it returns #NAME?. This file will not reopen with Excel2000

This has become a bit of an academic exercise for me as the absence of macro and DDE link support means that I cannot hope to use planmaker instead of excel.

However I hope these attachments help you create something that at least handles named ranges and external references properly.

This topic has now merged with another topic I started on external references which should probably now be pointed towards here. I will try and do that.

I reduced the size of baserate.pmd and the cell reference to it started working and some but not all of the references to planmaker test2 have started working. File size may therefore be relevant. I therefore recreated the original full size baserate.pmd and sure enough the link no longer works so I am attaching it. It is not exactly a large file as it mostly contains data not formulae and is only 89kb so it seems staggering that its size may be relevant.

None of the links seem to update when the file is first opened as I believe they are meant to but those that do update did so when I triggered an update through Table External references.

Finally back on the original topic of this thread planmaker test which contains external cell references will not open in Excel but Planmaker test2 which contains only data and named cells will open in Excel so it seems probable that the backward compatability is with the existence of external cell references and use of a different format for those references.
Attachments
BASERATE.pmd
(88.5 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Planmaker test2.xls
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Planmaker test.xls
(76.5 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Our developers could fix some bugs now and it should be better in the final version. In general, talking about such bugs, about PlanMaker and Excel behavior is a bit difficult without the original file.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

FabianFinlay

Post by FabianFinlay » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:45 pm

The files I have sent replicate all the problems I have mentioned.

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:24 pm

Sven,

From what I can tell, PM is just not picking up the named reference. It is likely looking for a reference of the form "A1" rather than Granada. As soon as I edit the range/cell name to the format "A1"... the external reference works just fine.
Cheers
Jim

FabianFinlay

Post by FabianFinlay » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Jim,

That particular cell is not the best example. It was the one I was experimenting in to see if adding the sheet name made a difference. Taking the sheet name out makes it work as does leaving the sheet name in but changing the cell reference to its actual grid reference which is A55. Trying the grid reference without the sheet name does not work.

It seems therefore that the links to named cells may not work with sheet names and also that there may be a limit to how many named cells one can reference.

Look at the remainder of column A. After updating external references and recalculating I have a number of zeros and a number of succesful results. Column A is all referencing cells in Planmaker Test2. Expirimenting with the zeros at a24 if I change

=+'C:\My Documents\Excel files\[Planmaker test2.xls]'!FCENT

to

=+'[Planmaker test2.xls]A'!A102

I still get zeros

so combining the sheet name with the grid reference does not overcome all the problems.

Cell D1 in Planmaker test references baserate.bmd. That is the one that works if I delete rows 237 downwards, rows 2:223, and columns F upwards this reducing the target file to the bare minimum. It does not work at all in the example I have sent - if you compbine sheet name and grid reference I get 0.00%. The external cell reference to it works when you reduce the file size. Just like the Granada example above however the cell name works only without the sheet name and the cell grid reference works only with the sheet name. If you have deleted the same rows as me the grid reference should be E14 but you can find it by using Function Key 5 to go to the named cell in baserate.pmd. The grid reference before reducing the fill size is E236.

Fabian

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Got it... I can duplicate the problem... Wow... this is pretty significant!!

Thanks for finding this. Not that you are any happier at this point, but now I see how important this is. I have tried to see if I could manually change this, but this is pretty straight forward... I'm sure they'll be all over this.
Cheers
Jim

Return to “Beta: PlanMaker 2010 for Windows”