Can't set different margins for left and right pages

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2008 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

JWM

Can't set different margins for left and right pages

Post by JWM » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:53 am

Every year I make family directory booklets and have used a Windows program, but I want to switch to a Linux program, preferably TextMaker, for next year's booklets. They have a very small page size of 2.75 inches wide and 4.25 inches high. All margins are 2 picas or less. The booklets fold and are arranged so they can be read from front to back in the right order. I have used ClickBook for imposition under Windows and will have to use a utility like Multivalent or pstops in Linux.

I cannot get TextMaker 2008 for Linux to set up the margins properly. I have selected Different Left and Right Pages in Format, Chapter. In setting the margins in Format, Page Format, I can't get the different left and right page margins to set up properly. No matter what I do, the pages are wrong. If I change the margins when I'm on a left page, the margins for the right page change, too.

First I wonder about the design of these options. I am a very experienced user and in other programs I've used, there is a selection for Inside and Outside margins when you want facing pages with different margins. TextMaker just calls them Left and Right. Well, this makes no sense because the left (outside) margin in a right-hand page is the inner margin on a left-hand page. But both pages display the same margin whether they're left hand or right hand. I tried setting the margins with Master Pages showing but that didn't get it right, either. As far as I can tell, I did what was suggested in the manual for TextMaker 2008.

Could you please tell me how to set different margins for facing pages? And could we please have Inside and Outside as choices for different left and right pages instead of the meaningless Left and Right?

I also reiterate something I've asked for more than once:
* The possibility to set a larger type size for the TextMaker database display and the TextMaker menus. On a high-res screen, the unadjustable type is so small that I have to use a magnifying glass to read anything!
* The ability to set to at least two decimal spaces and NOT have things rounded off to the nearest tenth. This results in rounding errors that make precise placement impossible.

Thank you.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Can't set different margins for left and right pages

Post by sven-l » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:13 am

Hello,

can you please test it with TextMaker 2010 for Linux and report back whether the problem still exists in TextMaker 2010 or not? I added your user JWM to the Betatester group. In the Beta forum you can find the downloadlink.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

JWM

Post by JWM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:32 pm

Can I install the 2010 beta without removing my 2008? If so, I'll definitely give it a try.

Thanks for replying.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:27 am

Unfortunately not. But you can uninstall Office 2008 first, then install the Beta and test it. After finishing with your test, just remove the Beta and reinstall the Office 2008.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2008 for Linux”