Best Linux distro for SoftMaker/TextMaker?

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2008 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

runbei

Best Linux distro for SoftMaker/TextMaker?

Postby runbei » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:47 pm

I've tried TextMaker on two Linux distros - Linux Mint 7 (equivalent to Ubuntu 9.04) and OpenSuse 11.2 - and found that it performs far better in OpenSuse.

In Mint, I saw problems with garbled toolbars, trouble opening Word docs with tracked changes, etc. In OpenSuse these issues weren't present - TM looks beautiful and opens the TC docs with no problem at all.

I wonder if the issues with Mint/Ubuntu are due to: (1) KDE (Suse) vs. Gnome (Mint/Ubuntu), (2) improvements in the last few months to TM Linux, (3) differences in hardware (I installed Mint on a ThinkPad T43 laptop; Suse on an old Dell Dimension 2400 with an nVidia graphics card).

Anyway, my reason for posting this is to tip anyone who wants to run TM on Linux that OpenSuse, and possibly other KDE distros, may be a better choice. ??
George Beinhorn
Mountain View, CA
http://www.writeremedy.com

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Best Linux distro for SoftMaker/TextMaker?

Postby martin-k » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:49 pm

Mint is based on Ubuntu, right? Ubuntu had a lot of problems in their 9.04 release with their graphics drivers. This also led to the garbled toolbars in SoftMaker. 9.10 has fixed this.

Anything related to tracked changes should not be affected in any way by the Linux distribution.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

runbei

Postby runbei » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Yes, Mint is based on Ubuntu. It fixes bugs introduced into Ubuntu by Canonical's mad-rush release schedules - but that's another story. At any rate, they certainly didn't catch the graphics bugs you mention.

TM looks wonderful in OpenSuse 11.2. I'll likely re-order as I'm very unhappy with the serious bugs in OpenOffice 3.1. E.g., tracked changes being inserted randomly into main text; crashes that completely shut down Linux; Track Changes slows OO to a crawl after 7-9 pages of heavy editing with changes hidden. Etc.

Here are my thoughts about Ubuntu vs. OpenSuse as the best platform for TextMaker. I'll be exploring OpenSuse and very likely switching - simply because with Ubuntu and the Ubuntu-based Mint, you never know when similar bugs will be introduced in future. Ubuntu has a consistent record of introducing fresh bugs with each release, and I simply can't risk my main work tool - word-processing software - being broken for six months until Ubuntu (maybe) fixes a bug, followed a month later by the accompanying release of Mint.

Update: After learning of the many complaints in the OpenSUSE forum about 11.2, I decided to stay with Mint. TextMaker looks very good there and displays tracked changes perfectly. I suspect the problems I had with TC in TextMaker earlier were due to a complex doc having been edited in OpenOffice, where the tracked changes feature is very buggy.
George Beinhorn

Mountain View, CA

http://www.writeremedy.com

Dingo

Postby Dingo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Woof Woof!!

Softmaker Office, being a superfast office suite, shows all its power on light distributions like

*Puppy Linux*

I use it on Puppy Linux and all is working fine, never had a crash

caneri

Postby caneri » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:32 am

Hi Dingo,

Eric here....how goes the battle?....I'm still waiting for a peek at the 2010 Linux beta.

Cheers

Pet3M0ss

Postby Pet3M0ss » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:04 am

The Softmaker suite loads and renders quite nicely on my Slackware 12.2 machine.

This is the first time I have put any package that was not based on a SlackBuild application.

Puppy-Tester

Postby Puppy-Tester » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:31 am

I find Textmaker works well in either Ubuntu or Puppy linux . It is super fast in puppy.

MattM

Postby MattM » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Runs fine on Scientific Linux 5.5 32-bit. Before that I had CentOS loaded and never saw a problem with SoftMaker Office there, either. Based on this, I would say that it would be fine on RedHat Enterprise. I cannot speak for Fedora, though.
All your base are belong to us.

Return to “TextMaker 2008 for Linux”