File formats

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2008 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

carandol

File formats

Post by carandol » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Since most of the work I do in TextMaker involves creating, editing and making changes to .doc files, I'm wondering what the differences are between native TextMaker files and those saved in Word format. If I switch to saving automatically in Word format, is there anything I'm likely to lose, format-wise? I'm mostly working with straight text, the only likely graphic being an occasional photograph. I use the track changes functions and comments, and quite often the table of contents generator. Otherwise it's fairly simple, the most complex layout being double columns occasionally, and the odd footnote.
carandol

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: File formats

Post by sven-l » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Hello,

the tmd-format can save all functions that TextMaker offers. The doc-format stores only functions supported by MS Word. If you, for example, use shortcuts for stylesheets or user-defined colors, they are not supported in Word and will be lost if you save in doc format.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

carandol

Post by carandol » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:18 pm

sven-l wrote:the tmd-format can save all functions that TextMaker offers. The doc-format stores only functions supported by MS Word. If you, for example, use shortcuts for stylesheets or user-defined colors, they are not supported in Word and will be lost if you save in doc format.
I don't suppose there's a list anywhere of TextMaker-specific functions which Word doesn't support? It's a couple of years since I last used Word regularly, so it's difficult to know what functions I should be avoiding when preparing documents for others.
carandol

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:43 am

No, unfortunately we don't have such a list. But these are really minor differences that should (maybe with the exception of user-defined colors) not affect the display of documents in Word.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

carandol

Post by carandol » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:37 am

OK thanks!
carandol

carandol

Post by carandol » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:09 pm

martin-k wrote:No, unfortunately we don't have such a list. But these are really minor differences that should (maybe with the exception of user-defined colors) not affect the display of documents in Word.
OK, thanks. I don't use user-defined colours, so I guess I don't need to worry!
carandol

Return to “TextMaker 2008 for Linux”