Changing language for whole document

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2008 for Linux.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

carandol

Changing language for whole document

Postby carandol » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:54 pm

I've been asked to transcribe a book for someone, using US English spelling, though I normally use UK English in Textmaker. The Textmaker manual suggests selecting all the text and changing the character language. But since I'm starting with a blank document, there won't be any text to select to begin with, and a little experimentation has shown that if I use this method, the text gets changed back to UK English every time I change styles to put in a header. I want background spell-checking to be on so that I can spot errors as I'm typing. As far as I can tell I have two options. Either:

1) Reselect the entire document and change the character language every time I change style

2) Switch the default language to US English and remember to switch it back for anything else I'm working on.

Is there really no way of changing the language for a whole document which doesn't involve any inconvenience? Or have I missed some little trick that would make it easier?
carandol

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Changing language for whole document

Postby sven-l » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:00 am

Hello,

you can use Paragraph and Character Styles for that document (Format=>Paragraph Styles and Format=>Character Styles) and set the laguage to US English. These Styles are only valid for the document they were created in.

As soon as you open a new document your default language will be UK English again.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

carandol

Postby carandol » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks! A bit fiddly, but less fiddly than either of the other ways. :D Maybe the ability to set the language for a whole document will appear in the next edition of TextMaker (hint, hint...)
carandol

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:35 am

That feature is already there. Make sure that the language in the stylesheets is set to "Default", then simply go to Tools/Option/Language and set the default language to your liking.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

carandol

Postby carandol » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:34 am

martin-k wrote:That feature is already there. Make sure that the language in the stylesheets is set to "Default", then simply go to Tools/Option/Language and set the default language to your liking.

No, I want the ability to change the the default language for one document to US English, while keeping the default language for the rest of my documents as UK English. See my first post in the thread. In MS Word and OpenOffice.org Writer, it's possible to change the language for one whole document, while keeping the default language for documents generally the same as it was before. (e.g. in OpenOffice, you can change the default language settings, and then tick the "for the current document only" box. )
carandol

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:15 pm

carandol wrote:
martin-k wrote:That feature is already there. Make sure that the language in the stylesheets is set to "Default", then simply go to Tools/Option/Language and set the default language to your liking.

No, I want the ability to change the the default language for one document to US English, while keeping the default language for the rest of my documents as UK English. See my first post in the thread. In MS Word and OpenOffice.org Writer, it's possible to change the language for one whole document, while keeping the default language for documents generally the same as it was before. (e.g. in OpenOffice, you can change the default language settings, and then tick the "for the current document only" box. )

I referred that idea as a feature request to our developers.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

carandol

Postby carandol » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:40 pm

sven-l wrote:I referred that idea as a feature request to our developers.

Thanks! :D
carandol

Return to “TextMaker 2008 for Linux”