Spell Checking Slowness

Bug reports for TextMaker 2008 for Linux

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

reynard

Spell Checking Slowness

Post by reynard » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Hello,

I will post this as a question - but having tried all the options and researched this forum, I doubt that my problem can be fixed. I am writing this by way of what is intended to be constructive criticism.

My work involves sending documents to clients as docs. They vary in length, but an average would be about 3,000 words. I work under pressure and I am not the most accurate of typists. Also, there will usually be proper names / company names which the software has not seen before. I typically spell check each document three or four times as I refine it.

For a long time I have run Word under Crossover, where spell checking is very fast. I would love to change to Textmaker but the slowness of the spell checker makes this impossible. I have tried all combinations of spell checking options, plus different fonts, saving as txt / tmd, and using the US rather than British dictionary. Nothing works. I seem to recall that under the previous version I evaluated setting the option to check spelling while I typed (which I hate by the way), speeded things up a little, but that no longer seems to be the case. I am using a new fast core2-duo machine with ample memory. Waiting 5 - 15 seconds between error results on a single A4 page, when I probably have 5 pages with several errors on each, drives me crazy.

As I said, this is intended to be constructive. I am grateful for the opportunity you give to evaluate the product (even pdf export now works in the linux evaluation), but the spell checker is, for me, a bar to buying.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Spell Checking Slowness

Post by sven-l » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:12 am

Hello,

thank you for your criticism. As we always try to improve SoftMaker Office we need to reproduce your problems to solve them.
Can you please send us an example file to forum(at)softmaker.de where the spell checker works to slow and refer to that thread?

In general, the spell-checker should be very fast, so it's strange that you are experiencing slowdowns. Is the dictionary stored on a local drive or on the network? Do you have a large user dictionary (*.udc)?

Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

reynard

Post by reynard » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:53 am

Hi Sven,

Thanks for the swift reply.

I am very sorry, but I can't send a real sample file. I am a lawyer and they are all advices to clients or court documents. You will understand that I would be in serious professional trouble if I disclosed them, even with the names changed. It is fair to add however, that most of my testing has been done on existing word docs which I have imported, rather than on material newly created under textmaker. I have, however, also tried using random plain text files I happen to have around, unrelated to my work, and the results are the same. I will send you one of those when I get a little time later today.

I work from home and the machine is not normally networked. The dictionary is on the local drive. I run Arch Linux and keep a separate tree for software which has not been packaged for the distro, or which I am evaluating. Thus I have /mytree/softmaker into which your tgz was placed and where it was unzipped. The executable script is /mytree/softmaker/textmaker, with /mytree/softmaker/office2008 below that.

I have not made any additions to the user dictionary. For testing purposes I am using "ignore all" on each error. The delays I report are between finding errors.

carandol

Post by carandol » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:30 pm

I've got this problem too. I hadn't noticed, since I normally just use the underlining of mistakes, but I did a manual spell-check and discovered that it takes a few seconds to get to the next mistake, and can take up to ten seconds to display a list of possible alternatives to an incorrect spelling. OO.o 3.0 displays alternatives instantly on the same document. This on a laptop with a 2.4GHz processor and no other programs running.
carandol

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:46 am

Hello,

thank you all for your sample files :D

I referred that problem to our developers and will inform you here as soon as I have more information.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:33 am

Hello,

the problem could be solved now and should no longer occur in the final release version.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

reynard

Post by reynard » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Than-you Sven. I am looking forward to trying it.

Return to “BETA TextMaker 2008 for Linux”