Spelling mistake

Bug reports for TextMaker 2008 for Linux

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

carandol

Spelling mistake

Post by carandol » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:52 pm

Just a little bug. The spelling checker wants me to write "mediaeval", when normal modern UK English spelling of the word is "medieval".
carandol

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Spelling mistake

Post by sven-l » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:40 am

Hello,

that happens in TextMaker 2008 for MS Windows too. We thought that it would be correct to write 'medieval' in American english ('mediaeval' is also accepted in AE) and 'mediaeval' in British English.

I referred that problem/question to our developers to proof the correctness in that case.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

carandol

Post by carandol » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:28 pm

I've just finished a history degree at a British university, and all the professors there spelled it "medieval". :D

While we're on spelling mistakes, your dictionary claims "woken" is not a word.

I do a fair amount of copy-editing, so a dictionary that can't spell is not a good thing!
carandol

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:35 pm

It's better to have a spell-checker that flags some correct words as "unknown" or possibly incorrect (so that you can look at them) than one with wrong words so that errors go unnoticed.

My Webster tells me that "woken" is a dialectal form of "waked", but doesn't tell if it is dialectal just in US English or in English in general. Can you give me some insight on this?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

carandol

Post by carandol » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:31 pm

:o It seems I'm all rustic and old fashioned! Living in the north of England, and having the spent the last three years of a degree reading a lot of old historical documents, "woken" seemed like a perfectly common word to me. But the Oxford English Dictionary says its a "rare" form of "awakened".

The Collins English Dictionary just says it's a "past participle of wake" without being so judgmental about it :-) The OpenOffice.org spell checker likes it. And I've just noticed that the spellchecker in Firefox isn't challenging it either.

So you're probably no wiser than you were before, and I'm now going to feel self-conscious every time I use the word :D
carandol

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:34 pm

The history and connections of wake, waken, awake, and awaken are convoluted and messy... :wink:
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

carandol

Post by carandol » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Most of the English language is convoluted and messy! :)

A quick straw poll on LiveJournal has friends of mine from as various parts of Britain and the USA all saying "It's a perfectly normal word round here." Obviously Mr Webster and those nice people in Oxford need to get out more! :P
carandol

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:15 am

carandol wrote:Just a little bug. The spelling checker wants me to write "mediaeval", when normal modern UK English spelling of the word is "medieval".
Hello,

we improved the dictionary for the next version of TextMaker.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “BETA TextMaker 2008 for Linux”