NEC MobilePRO 900c

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2008 for Windows CE.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Stevie

NEC MobilePRO 900c

Postby Stevie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:37 am

Hi, what will specifically stop this working on 640x240 devices? I have loaded the beta and it seems to work on my NEC 900c (CE 4.2) apart from certain dialog boxes overfilling the screen. Wouldn't this be an easy fix?
I hope you can be persuaded to get this working on a 640x240 device as the PDF export would be really usefull.
Stevie

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: NEC MobilePRO 900c

Postby martin-k » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:08 am

If you have Windows CE.NET 4.2, then you don't have a Handheld PC. They stopped at Windows CE 3.0.

There are two reasons for not working on Handheld PCs anymore:

- The applications need at least Windows CE.NET 4.2. So, no problem in your case.
- The applications need a larger screen. That's a problem in your case.

However, if you check the e-mail with the download information, you see details about a version for 240*320 pixel screens. This version WILL work on your device. It does not have the nicest arrangement of dialog box elements (lots of white space on the left and right side of dialogs), but it will work.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:18 pm

Thanks for the info but I have a NEC MobilePro 900c which runs CE 4.2 and it is a Handheld PC. Maybe you are not aware of this. They'll be quite a few 900c's out there so can you be persuaded to adjust the dialog and menu screens. [-o<
I don't think I'd be so inclined to purchase otherwise.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:29 pm

The 900c is a special case in that NEC calls it a Handheld PC, while technically Microsoft only allowed machines up to Windows CE 3.0 to be called a Handheld PC.

But you should try the 240*320 pixel version to see if it suits your needs. We won't be doing a 640*240 pixel version anymore since this market is dead. You'd be appalled at the low number of units of SoftMaker Office we sold for 640*240 pixel Handheld PCs.

Come next year, everybody will have forgotten about old Handheld PCs anyway because there will be much more attractive CE6 devices coming to the market... :wink:
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

johnkless

Postby johnkless » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:19 am

I also have a NEC 900c and found as Stevie did that in the full screen version the dialog boxes exceed the screen but otherwise it runs. I did however download the 320x240 versions of all 3 programs and they seem to run flawlessly and fast on the 900c. I'm absolutely amazed that apps of this size run so fast on this machine plus all the capabilities. I'm not fond of the Pocket PC style menu tree look but it seems that all the functions are indeed there and fully usable. It'll just take some getting used to.

John

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:27 am

Thanks Johnkless, I'll try the PPC versions.

Also thanks Martin for your honest reply and I look forward to next year. :D

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby martin-k » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:07 am

johnkless wrote:I also have a NEC 900c and found as Stevie did that in the full screen version the dialog boxes exceed the screen but otherwise it runs. I did however download the 320x240 versions of all 3 programs and they seem to run flawlessly and fast on the 900c. I'm absolutely amazed that apps of this size run so fast on this machine plus all the capabilities. I'm not fond of the Pocket PC style menu tree look but it seems that all the functions are indeed there and fully usable. It'll just take some getting used to.

John

At least in TextMaker, you should be able to construct your own custom toolbar consisting only of main menu entries, such as File, Edit, View, Insert etc.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2008 for Windows CE”