PM removes Read-only Attribute

Post bug reports and suggestions for the PlanMaker 2008 for Pocket PCs beta software.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

stomback

PM removes Read-only Attribute

Post by stomback » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:47 pm

I am using PlanMaker Beta 2008 on a Treo 700WX.

When I open a Read-only Excel file in PlanMaker Beta 2008 I am asked, ‘Do you want to open it read-only’ and if I click Yes, the file opens in write protected mode.

When I open a Read-only Excel file in PlanMaker Beta 2008 that I received as an Email attachment, there is no option to open the file in the read-only mode. The read-only Attribute is removed from the file and it opens in the non protected mode.

DrAT

Re: PM removes Read-only Attribute

Post by DrAT » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:09 pm

Do you know which version of Excel was used to save the file? The options in Excel 2000 and 2007 are different.
I've experimented with Excel 2007, using it to save .xls files.
The option to open the file in read only mode appears when xls files protected by PM08 are opened in PM08. It doesn't when files saved in Excel 2007 are opened in PM08, but the file behaves as it should. The 'Properties' dialogue in PM08 says the files are not protected but I can't change the content that I locked in Excel. So far, the protection seems to work despite PM08 sugesting the files aren't protected.
I'll try a few more files and install Excel 2000 when I get a chance.
I agree that something appears to be wrong with the way protection works. So far, with my files, it seems to be working despite PM08 saying it isn't but I haven't tried every option.
WM2003SE - HP iPAQ hx4700 - 64Mb RAM

WM5 - XDA Mini S

WM6 - HP iPAQ 214 - 128Mb RAM

WM6.5 - HTC HD2 - 448Mb RAM

StowAway BT Keyboard

stomback

Post by stomback » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:19 pm

The problem does not seem to be Excel version dependant. Attached is a sample Excel file.

PlanMaker Beta 2008 is handling the same Excel file two different ways. The first way is when the file is on the Pocket PC and the second way is when the file is received as an email attachment.

Download the attached sample Excel file onto your PC and right click on it to display its properties. Note that the Read-only attribute is selected.

Connect your Pocket PC to your PC and using Windows Explorer copy the Excel file to your Pocket PC. Open the Excel file in PlanMaker Beta 2008. You will be asked ‘Folder\file.xls is write protected. Do you want to open it read-only?’ Click Yes, the file opens in ‘read-only’ mode. This is evident because the PlanMaker ‘Save’ option is dimmed and not available. You can use ‘Save as’ and save it with a new file name. The original file’s integrity is maintained.

On your PC attach the same Excel file to an email and send it to yourself. Open the email on your Pocket PC. Click on the Excel attachment. When PlanMaker Beta 2008 opens the file there is no option to open the file in ‘read-only’ mode. The file opens in write mode. This is evident because the PlanMaker ‘Save’ option is available. Save the file. The original file’s integrity is not maintained. Using Resco Explorer display the Excel file’s properties. Note that the Read-only attribute is not selected.

Bye the way, PlanMaker 2006 Pocket PC has two bugs in this same area. The first is that it handles all Excel files received as email attachments as ‘read-only’ files. The second is that when you open an Excel file attached to an email on the Pocket PC you cannot read message ‘Folder\file.xls is write protected. Do you want to open it ‘read-only’?’ because the display window is too big for the Pocket PC screen and the left and right portions of the message are not visible.

Is it possible the bugs in PlanMaker 2006 Pocket PC were not completely fixed?
Attachments
PM_Read_only.xls
(29 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

DrAT

Post by DrAT » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:15 am

I think I'm on the same page now.
Protection set within Excel works properly in PM08. The read only attribute isn't set in this scenario.
Read only files offer to open in read only mode in PM08.
It's when the file is attached to an e-mail that you have a problem if I've understood your post. I wonder if your setup is similar. My PCs run XP Pro, XPMCE and Vista and the read-only attribute of attachments is stripped by the e-mail clients. Any attachments I receive don't have the attribute set. Protection set within Excel is preserved. It's a security measure; I'm not sure exactly where the change occurs. Files posted to forums lose the attribute too. The file you uploaded isn't read only once I have it on my machines. It might be an oversight when you uploaded it but if the same is true on your PC it might explain the difference. I think it's associated with the option 'do not allow attachments to be opened or saved that could potentially be a virus' on the 'security' tab in the options for Outlook Express. It was added to XP, perhaps with a service pack and wasn't present in the original.
I hadn't noticed the difference in behaviour I mentioned before because I don't rely on making files read only. Different versions of Excel do it differently but the protection it provides within the program is very good.

WM5 - XDA Mini S

StowAway BT Keyboard

stomback

Post by stomback » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:30 pm

PM08 is handling protection correctly.

This whole thing started because PM06 handles all Excel files received as email attachments as ‘read-only’ files dislaying a message to that effect. I wanted to see if it was fixed in PM08.

When I started testing PM08 I was not aware that the ‘read-only’ attribute was being stripped from the file. I sent files with the attribute not set and PM08 worked correctly, no longer handling the files as though the attribute was set. I decided to set the attribute and see what PM08 would do. When I opened a file with the attribute set and PM08 did not see it as a ‘read-only’ file, I assumed PM08 was broken.

When I receive an Excel file as an attachment on an email on my Pocket PC I do not have the option to download the file, only open it, and therefore cannot check the attribute. To prove your theory I sent myself the file as an email attachment with the ‘read-only’ attribute set and the extension changed to ‘abc’. I was able to download the file to the Pocket PC. The ‘read-only’ attribute had been removed.

Sorry to have put you through all the testing.

Some observations:

1. I use Gmail Web mail and do not use Outlook Express.

2. I checked the Excel file I uploaded to the message board and the ‘read-only’ attribute is set. I downloaded the file from the message board and the ‘read-only’ attribute is not set.

3. When I change the attribute of a file in XP to ‘read-only’ and make a copy of the file, the ‘read-only’ attribute of the copy is set.

4. When I change the attribute of a file in Vista to ‘read-only’ and make a copy of the file, the ‘read-only’ attribute of the copy is not set.

5. I guess the ‘read-only’ attribute is no longer being honored.

On another Note:

The width of the vertical header of PM08 has increased in size and is very noticeable on my Pocket PC’s 240x240 screen. I am aware of the ‘Hide Header’ function but the space lost during editing is quite perceptible. Is it possible the width can be returned to the PM06 width?

end...

DrAT

Post by DrAT » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:31 pm

No problem.
I discovered that the attribute was being stripped by accident when opening attachements in exactly the same way. I don't know where the changes occur. I think that read only files must present a security risk in some way.
I didn't know that Vista handled read-only files differently as well. It appears that it's not something to rely on now. The features within Office are very good (and within PM) but it was nice to have an easy and reliable way to lock files.
I agree that the header has grown. It makes quite a difference on smaller screens. I'm sure one of the developers will get back on that one.
Take care,
Andy.

WM5 - XDA Mini S

StowAway BT Keyboard

Return to “PlanMaker 2008 for Pocket PCs BETA”