Textmaker closing itself

Post bug reports and suggestions for the TextMaker 2008 for Pocket PCs beta software.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

uzziah0

Textmaker closing itself

Postby uzziah0 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:57 am

I was using the newest Beta of Textmaker today, and had Textmaker close itself multiple times.
I was taking notes in church, and had pauses between writing something, and my Axim would power off. When I turned it back on, Textmaker showed with the keyboard. I would tap on Textmaker or the keyboard and Textmaker would close.
When I opened it again, sometimes it would report it had crashed and asked if I would like a recovery (which it handled nicely) other times it didn't and I lost some of what I entered.

I had plenty of memory, as far as I recall. Nothing else was running, and the file contains no pictures or other things, just text, and not too big.

If there is something you would suggest me to try to get past this, I can try something to get it to not happen with some settings changes; or I can send you some sort of log file, or check specific memory availability, just let me know.

Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TextMaker on Dell Axim x51v WM5

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Textmaker closing itself

Postby sven-l » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:51 am

uzziah0 wrote:I was using the newest Beta of Textmaker today, and had Textmaker close itself multiple times.
I was taking notes in church, and had pauses between writing something, and my Axim would power off. When I turned it back on, Textmaker showed with the keyboard. I would tap on Textmaker or the keyboard and Textmaker would close.
When I opened it again, sometimes it would report it had crashed and asked if I would like a recovery (which it handled nicely) other times it didn't and I lost some of what I entered.

I had plenty of memory, as far as I recall. Nothing else was running, and the file contains no pictures or other things, just text, and not too big.

If there is something you would suggest me to try to get past this, I can try something to get it to not happen with some settings changes; or I can send you some sort of log file, or check specific memory availability, just let me know.

Thanks

Hello,

thanks for your bug report. We have tested this with a DELL AXIM X51V Pocket PC and we have encountered a similar problem after shutdown and start the PPC again.
I informed the developers about this issue and will inform you as soon as the problem is fixed.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

uzziah0

Postby uzziah0 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:24 pm

sven-l,

Thanks for your response.
As I said, if you need me to check anything let me know.

I didn't have this problem with the previous beta,
and I did have a similar problem with my registered version, it says 2002-2005 rev 406 (from help-about).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Hello,

did you install SoftMaker Office on the external Memory Card of the Pocket PC? If so, please make sure SoftMaker Office is installed on the internal memory.

We tested it again with the Office installed directly on the internal memory and TextMaker won´t crash when shutting down the PPC and switch it on again.

Please look at: http://www.softmaker.com/english/tipsppc_en.htm (Crashes when running TextMaker or PlanMaker from external memory cards (Pocket PC 2003/2003 SE)
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

uzziah0

Postby uzziah0 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Sven,

I had read that, but it states it is for ppc2003/ppc2003SE, I am running WM5.

It looks to be about 28meg, which is a lot.
Would that go into Storage memory? If so, that is not bad, because I have 118 meg of Storage space remaining.
If is it Program memory, I won't have enough of that.

Also, can I install just Textmaker (I have not used the other office packages, and I'm mostly interested in Textmaker).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

uzziah0

Postby uzziah0 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:24 pm

I was using Textmaker beta last night, and I did not have the power off problem.
The only difference to how I was using this to the other day when I was having problems, is the file I was using.

The other day I was using a file that I keep adding to, and it is 60.5 K, and was originally created in the older version of Textmaker.
The file from last night that didn't give me problems was newly created, and it is 16.5 K.

Is the size causing the problem?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Postby sven-l » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:49 am

uzziah0 wrote:I was using Textmaker beta last night, and I did not have the power off problem.
The only difference to how I was using this to the other day when I was having problems, is the file I was using.

The other day I was using a file that I keep adding to, and it is 60.5 K, and was originally created in the older version of Textmaker.
The file from last night that didn't give me problems was newly created, and it is 16.5 K.

Is the size causing the problem?

Hello,

even when i create a new file with TextMaker 2008 beta (started directly from the external memory card) and just type in few characters, turn off the Pocket PC and switch it on again, the program crashes, if i try to save.
If i start TextMaker from the internal memory (i have installed it 2 times on the Pocket PC), there is no problem at all.

So I don´t think that it have anything to do with the file size, or if the file was created with an older version of TextMaker or not.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

DrAT

Postby DrAT » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 pm

I don't know whether this is relevant but some of the problems I had with TM on a storage card after turning my PPCs off/on were fixed by applying the PNPUnloadDelay hack:
HKEY_LocalMachine\System\StorageManager\PNPUnloadDelay.
Increasing it seems to help. Tweaks2k2 applies what seems to be an ideal value.
Problems seem to be confined to programs installed to CF in my experience.
Note that if you use the trial of Tweaks2k2, you only get to use 3 hacks ie. One to set a VGA device (if you have one), one to apply the hack and one to undo it if it doesn't help. Always make a backup. It hasn't caused problems for me but you never know.

Note too that Windows mobile doesn't tell you everything about available memory. The degree of fragmentation is important too. If your memory is fragmented, large applications might run into trouble. A soft reset usually helps.

I sometimes use a 32Mb WM5 device to run TM. It's installed to SD. I have had problems that sound like your final post. If I keep editing a small file TM falls over eventually. I've noticed that filesys.exe starts using a lot of resources before the crash. I wonder if it's something to do with the way WM5 'reclaims' memory using filesys.exe. 32Mb isn't much memory but TM always works well until I have saved the file a few times.
I used MemMaid to see what else WM5 was up to.
WM2003SE - HP iPAQ hx4700 - 64Mb RAM

WM5 - XDA Mini S

WM6 - HP iPAQ 214 - 128Mb RAM

WM6.5 - HTC HD2 - 448Mb RAM

StowAway BT Keyboard

Return to “TextMaker 2008 for Pocket PCs BETA”