Bug when opening password protected file

Post bug reports and suggestions for the TextMaker 2008 for Pocket PCs beta software.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

rkrasny

Bug when opening password protected file

Post by rkrasny » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:41 pm

I have a password protected file that I have stored in office 2003 format on my device storage card. I am using the beta version of TM for WM 2008 downloaded today (4/1) which extended my trial to the end of the month. When I open the doc, TM asks for the pw, then opens the file with a series of error dialogs starting with "Unable to start hyphenation for "german (Germany)", ditto for the Netherlands, Portugal, French - in that order. When I click "OK" for each of these, then the document is opened and TM seems to function normally. I installed TM with only US English support.

Needless to say, there are no multilingual elements in this file, just plain old English.

Thanks for your help.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Bug when opening password protected file

Post by martin-k » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:31 am

>> Needless to say, there are no multilingual elements in this file, just plain old English.

That's what you think. Word has a (mis-)feature in that it's being able to guess the language of a passage of text. This often fails and it leads to these error messages. Word has the same problem with your file, but it doesn't display an error message - instead, it simply will hyphenate the offending sections wrong.

Do a Ctrl+A, then (in Word) Tools>Language>Set Language>English or (in TextMaker) Format>Character>Language>English, and your troubles go away.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

rkrasny

Re: Bug when opening password protected file

Post by rkrasny » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:57 am

Thanks very much - that was it. Word and its myriad embedded codes and unexplained behaviors never ceases to amaze me. I guess I should be grateful because if Microsoft did their job then you wouldn't have a job.

FYI neither pockert work nor word mobile 6.1 can open a password protected file.

RK

Return to “TextMaker 2008 for Pocket PCs BETA”