Planmaker Write Protect Error

Post bug reports and suggestions for the TextMaker 2008 for Pocket PCs beta software.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

stomback

Planmaker Write Protect Error

Postby stomback » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:27 pm

I am getting a write protection message on a file that is not write protected.

When I receive a Word file attached to an email and click on the filename, TextMaker 2008 PocketPC Beta opens and I receive message:

….ments\filename.xls is write protected. Do….

The full message is not readable because the message window is too large for the screen.

Below the message are two buttons; ‘Yes’ and ‘No’.

I click on ‘Yes’ and the file opens.

The ‘Save’ function is dimmed and not available.

The file can be saved with the ‘Save as’ function.

Information:
Attached is a test file.
The file is not write protected.
I have tried it on Gmail and Yahoo clients.
This error also occurs with Plan/Maker Pocket PC 2008 Beta.
This error also occurs with TextMaker/PlanMaker Pocket PC 2006.
I have tried this in WM5 and WM6.

End…
Attachments
PM_Write_Protect_Error.doc
(26.5 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

DrAT

Re: Planmaker Write Protect Error

Postby DrAT » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:07 pm

This might be a result of XP's hand-holding when it comes to attachments. If the setting in Outlook Express is set to 'Do not allow attachments to be opened that might contain a virus' is selected in ''Properies/Securty', all attachments are locked until un-locked. Check out the properties of the file after saving the attachment (Right -click/Properties) It's universal so it doesn't matter what you use for e-mail. It's on by default.
The attached file is OK. Uploading removes the lock so it's probably the cause.
WM2003SE - HP iPAQ hx4700 - 64Mb RAM

WM5 - XDA Mini S

WM6 - HP iPAQ 214 - 128Mb RAM

WM6.5 - HTC HD2 - 448Mb RAM

StowAway BT Keyboard

stomback

Postby stomback » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:24 am

I am using a WM6 Pocket PC with TextMaker/PlanMaker Pocket PC Beta 2008.

I have Gmail and Yahoo email addresses and have setup POP messaging email accounts on the Pocket PC for each client. I connect to the Internet with Wifi.

1. Using TextMaker Pocket PC Beta 2008 on the Pocket PC I created a Word document (MS Word XP/2003 format).

2. Using Resco Explore I checked the Attributes of the Word document and the only one set is ‘Archive’.

3. Using the Yahoo email account on the Pocket PC I created an email, attached the Word document and sent it to the Gmail email account.

4. When I open the Gmail email on the Pocket PC and click on the attachment filename, TextMaker 2008 PocketPC Beta opens and I receive message:

….ments\filename.doc is write protected. Do….

The full message is not readable because the message window is too large for the Pocket PC screen.

Below the message are two buttons; ‘Yes’ and ‘No’.

5. If I create a Word document with Microsoft Word on my XP PC, Using Internet Explorer create a Yahoo email with the Word document attached; send it to my Gmail email account, when I open the Gmail email on the Pocket PC and click on the attachment filename the same error occurs.

6. The same error occurs using a WM5 Treo 700WX with TextMaker/PlanMaker Pocket PC 2006 which connects to the Internet via a WAN.

The problem does not seem to be the file creation program, XP, WM5, WM6, Outlook Express, Wifi or WAN related.

end...

DrAT

Postby DrAT » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:31 am

It would help if you could e-mail a couple of the problematic attachments to me. I've sent 2 PMs with my addresses (I remembered that I had a gMail account after I sent the first one.)
I can't reproduce the error so far; quite probably because I'm not comparing like with like.
WM2003SE - HP iPAQ hx4700 - 64Mb RAM

WM5 - XDA Mini S

WM6 - HP iPAQ 214 - 128Mb RAM

WM6.5 - HTC HD2 - 448Mb RAM

StowAway BT Keyboard

stomback

Postby stomback » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:20 pm

The error is not file dependant.

Facts:

ALL Excel and Word documents received on my PDA as email attachments are opened with SoftMaker Pocket PC Beta 2008 and exhibit the protection error and broken display window problem.

The problem exhibits on another PDA using SoftMaker Pocket PC 2006.

This error is reproducible with ANY Word, Excel, TextMaker or PlanMaker file that I generate.

I am using Yahoo and Gmail email clients and the error is independent from which client the email is sent or received.

The error is independent on whether the email originates from my XP computer or PDA.

File 'PM_Write_Protect_Error.doc' which is attached to the first post exhibits the protection error and broken display problem.

Conformation:
To confirm that the file attached to the first post exhibits the problem, I just downloaded the file onto my XP computer. I opened Internet Explorer and went to the Gmail Web page and created a Gmail email to myself to which I attached the file. I saw the email arrive in the Gmail inbox, but did not open it. I opened Windows Mobile Messaging on my PDA, opened the Gmail account and did a Send/Receive. The email arrived in the inbox. I clicked on the email and message 'Get entire message and any attachments (37k)' displayed. I clicked on the message and a new message displayed, 'Message and all attachments will download next time you connect and receive e-mail'. I closed the email and did a Send/Receive. I opened the email and clicked on the attachment. TextMaker Beta 2008 opened and displayed the partial error message in the broken display window.

Try this:

Install SoftMaker Pocket PC Beta 2008 on your PDA.

Setup a POP email account in Windows Mobile Messaging on your PDA.

Download 'PM_Write_Protect_Error.doc' (on the first post) from the SoftMaker Bulletin Board to your XP computer.

On your XP computer send yourself an email and attach 'PM_Write_Protect_Error.doc'.

On your PDA open Messaging and then the POP email account.

Open the email and then click on the attachment.

Does TextMaker display the partial error message in a broken window?

Why don’t you email me file 'PM_Write_Protect_Error.doc' and let’s see if I get the error by sending the email via another path?

End…

stomback

Postby stomback » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Here is an update.

The problem has nothing to do with the Word or Excel file.

Send yourself an email with a Word or Excel file attached. Open the email on your PDA with 'Windows Mobile Messenger'. Click and HOLD on the attachment. You will be given the 'Save As…' option. Save the attachment to the PDA. SoftMaker can now open the attachment without a problem.

Using the same email, just click on the attachment. SoftMaker opens and displays the error message.

SoftMaker cannot open the attachment while it is attached to the email but has no problem with the attachment when it has been downloaded to the PDA.

I discovered the complete SoftMaker Beta message can be read by rotating the PDA screen. Here is the message:

'The Document \Program Files\Connections\Mail Attachments\Filename.doc is in use or write protected. Do you want to open it read-only?'.

End…

Return to “TextMaker 2008 for Pocket PCs BETA”