General impressions and a forum request

Post bug reports and suggestions for the TextMaker 2008 for Pocket PCs beta software.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

kamikun

General impressions and a forum request

Post by kamikun » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:58 am

OK, after an hour or so of playing with all three apps here's my $.02.

First off, could we add one more section to this Beta forum, specifically, a place for the Office suite itself? General questions about all the programs and their common interfaces don't really have a place to go. I'd recommend a catch-all section for the SO 2008 Beta.

Anyways, on my OLD Toshiba e800 running in real VGA with WM 2003 (first ed., nonetheless), the programs look wonderful. Honestly though, I cannot imagine how you could even start to use any of these apps in QVGA; even VGA is pretty limiting.

Not surprisingly, the presentation app is slow... Think sap from a maple tree in winter slow. With my e800 overcranked to 492mHz it is still a study in patience to do things like, edit a text box or choose a new format. (e.g. Choosing a new layout took about 5 minutes for all the thumbnails to load.) This is unavoidable of course and I trust you kids with your souped-up new generation phone/PDA thingies will find it more tolerable. I think in the real world I'd use Presentations the same as I use PM and TM now, all real work is done on the desktop and the ppc is for final tweaking and formating while traveling or between meetings.

Most of the options menus in PM and TM seem to be resolution aware now (i.e. they size up for VGA). This is a great thing. But the Presentations options, which are graphically intensive, don't resolve naturally into VGA, which makes it almost impossible to see what the thumbnails are showing.

Some of the menus in Japanese are not yet fully translated but I'm guessing you know that. (BTW, if you want some translation help here I can help a bit... don't know if you have a Japanese speaker on staff or not..)

Also in Presentations, there seems to be some trouble getting the File menu to pop-up when the SIP keyboard (in my case Fitaly 4.0) is also up. I had to manually close the keyboard twice before the main menu list would appear.

These are only first impressions so take it for what it's worth. But the suite looks like it would be killer on a machine like the HTC Advantage... man, that would be sweet what with it built-in VGA-out port, high speed processor and gobs of RAM. I wish you guys great luck during this product cycle and hope the suite sells well. Anything that makes our PDAs more usable is welcome. 8-)

amuehl

Re: General impressions and a forum request

Post by amuehl » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:12 pm

Hello,
kamikun wrote:First off, could we add one more section to this Beta forum, specifically, a place for the Office suite itself? General questions about all the programs and their common interfaces don't really have a place to go. I'd recommend a catch-all section for the SO 2008 Beta.
Thank you for your feedback. If there are more requests like yours we will thinking about adding another category.
Not surprisingly, the presentation app is slow... Think sap from a maple tree in winter slow. With my e800 overcranked to 492mHz it is still a study in patience to do things like, edit a text box or choose a new format. (e.g. Choosing a new layout took about 5 minutes for all the thumbnails to load.)
An application like SoftMaker Presentations works with a lot of graphics and so you will need a fast processor and a lot of memory. We all know that a PDA cannot be compared to a desktop PC where you have almost unlimited ressources, but in our eyes Presentations is working very well - even on a PDA with its limited ressources. But of course, we are always working on optimizing the performance.
Some of the menus in Japanese are not yet fully translated but I'm guessing you know that. (BTW, if you want some translation help here I can help a bit... don't know if you have a Japanese speaker on staff or not..)
Yes, the translation will be completed when the final version is ready.
Alexander Mühl
SoftMaker Software GmbH

lark

Re: General impressions and a forum request

Post by lark » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:12 am

amuehl wrote:Hello,
kamikun wrote:First off, could we add one more section to this Beta forum, specifically, a place for the Office suite itself? General questions about all the programs and their common interfaces don't really have a place to go. I'd recommend a catch-all section for the SO 2008 Beta.
Thank you for your feedback. If there are more requests like yours we will thinking about adding another category.

Consider this another request for a combined forum. I am a new owner of the Suite 2006 for PPC, and agree that common issues and questions should be grouped by suite. I would guess that most people buy the suite.

Return to “TextMaker 2008 for Pocket PCs BETA”